Monday, December 12, 2022

What Gifts Can I Bring

 


Do your children have a wish list for Christmas?  Do you have family and friends asking, "what gifts can I bring?"  I'm sure you do.  Or, do you have a wish list for yourself?  This post could apply to both.  

When I think of the gifts given to Mary at Jesus' birth, I am reminded of the scripture:  "But, Mary kept all these thing and pondered them in her heart"  Luke 2:19.  I'm no Bible scholar, but I do know that each of these gifts represented something about Jesus and his life.  Gold is for the King, frankinscence is for the One who is mortal and myrrh is a symbol of death.  Jesus' Christmas gifts, was one to ponder on, what does this mean and what was to come.  

I was listening to some young mother's talking about what was on their child's Christmas list.  As I listened, I was thinking about all the Christmas lists my girls had.  All the gifts over the years.  Then, it hit me...this post.  

If one could give, or parents could give, gifts that you had to ponder on, wow what gifts!  Important things, not material things, you know, "real" gifts, what one really needs!  Often these gifts cost nothing.  

"What do you want for Christmas?"  (loved one) asks....

"an hour with you free from your phone"

"for you to play with me and not your video games"

"for you to look at me while I'm doing something, instead of taking my 'perfect picture' for social media"

"to have heart to heart instead of a conversation"

"for me to make mistakes and you forgive me"

"for you to put me first and not something or someone else"

"one on one time with you"

"you teach me how instead of doing it for me"

I could go on, but I think you get message of what I am saying.

As I am typing this, I am brought to tears as I need to give these types of gifts myself.  These gifts can't be wrapped, have a pretty bow or even be opened at Christmas.  However, these are the types of gifts we all need.  These gifts don't end up in the landfill.  These gifts have an everlasting value.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  



6 comments:

  1. My wish would be to spend a quiet time to myself with no tv and just enjoy the silence and remember the reason for the season. Great post Jacky! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so very right about that...and the fact that those "gifts" on your list are things so many of us need desperately and are also things we can all do better at giving. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. I am setting some goals to do better.

      Delete