Monday, December 19, 2022

Simple Culinary Christmas Decor

Often times, simple is the best and can make the biggest impact.


The orange pomander ball's history goes back to Europe to the middle ages.  They were used as herbal amulets, worn around the neck or placed in the home to protect from negative spirits, energy, envy, harm and jealousy.  At that time, personal hygiene, left much to be desired and illness was linked to smell.  The herbalist used warm spices to ward off illness and bring strength and good fortune.  Orange oil, purifies the air and lifts spirits, cinnamon helps maintain a healthy immune system, cloves as well as cardamom are antioxidants.  

I first made these pomander balls back in 1988 when Al and I first were married.  Every County Living magazine, every picture of a primitive home at that time, had these in crocks, wooden bowls and in garlands.  In fact, after Christmas I rolled these orange pomanders in a thick coat of cinnamon and just left them out all year.  They dried out naturally and I had them for years. 

I'm sure I don't need to give directions for you to make these, but a tip would be to use a toothpick to poke a hole first.  Saves your fingers.  



I used a crock plate, sprinkled the spices on the bottom, added fresh cedar branches, the oranges, cinnamon sticks and cranberries.  Now, how simple and festive.  As I sit here this morning typing this, I can smell it - Christmas.  


When I thought of items for my "Very Merry Scottish Christmas" this was one of the first things I thought to make.  I like simple and natural things.  I hope you try this one, you won't be disappointed.  



Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

4 comments:

  1. I definitely remember making these as a young Girl Scout! Thank you for the simple idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have pomanders I made years ago, but wish I had known the toothpick trick. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking you for sure made these! I know they fit in a primitive home.

      Delete