Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Simple Tartan Ornaments

 


These were left at the Antigo estate sale, so I bought them.  The whole box for $5.  I wanted to make some ornaments and needed styrofoam and happen to think of these.  And, I just may use the red and green as is.  

I cut a square of the tartan fabric I had and just pulled it up around the silk ornament.  I used a piece of wire to secure to the paperclip I attached to the hook.  


Then I cut the excess fabric close to the clip.  I added a jute bow, some small bells to represent berries and made the holly leaves out of a felted sweater.  


 I had a sweet customer donate several boxes of felted sweaters she no longer wanted to use.  I was thrilled to get them, as she did all the "work" in getting them to the stage I like.  I thought about doing that same process but with a felted sweater.  




I would like to say that one was as simple to make, but due to the cable knit being so tight in the felting it was very bumpy and hard to attach.  I ended up cutting slits and some chunks at each end before I glued them down.  It worked, but not as clean as I would like.  I had a tartan ribbon that covered most of the imperfections.  I attached the holly and berries.  


A few more to make to add to my whimsical Scottish tree.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

2 comments: