Thursday, December 15, 2022

Simple One Pot Meal

 I like to cook, but with just Al and I, sometimes I think "why bother."  I'm going to stop that!  Cooking brings me joy.  

I hate to say, but I am a "chicken and biscuit" snob.  I have been told, that mine is pretty good.  I've made it many different ways, depending on what I had on hand.  Yesterday was cold, icy and a perfect day to get out the dutch oven.  

I started with frozen chicken breasts.  Yes, frozen.  I just coated the bottom of the dutch oven with olive oil, spices and put the chicken in at 350 until I could smell it.  Oh, and what a smell.  

I took out chicken, diced it up and put it back in the pot with all the diced veggies.  I added some chicken stock and stirred up all the brown bits on the bottom....brown bits are flavor.  Put it back in at a lower temperature until ready to thicken and add biscuits.



I don't use too many "cream of" soups.  A rue is so easy to make.  It's equal parts fat to thickener (a flour/cornstarch).  Combine in a pan and add a liquid.  I did milk here, but I warmed it first.  Add slowly to the rue and stir out lumps.  Dump in the pot to thicken it.  

I made an easy biscuit:  2 C flour, 1/2 C corn meal, 1 T sugar, 1 T baking powder, 1 t salt, stir together.  In that bowl, grate one stick of cold butter, stir together.  Add milk....mine was a coffee cup full.  Drop by tablespoons on top of pot and put back in oven until done.  EASY!




Of course, with just us 2, we will be eating this tonight too along with a nice salad.  

Here in the north central Wisconsin - it's dutch oven time.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

3 comments:

  1. It certainly is dutch oven season here, although I tend to do more soups. Your chicken and biscuits look (and sound) delicious! ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT looks wonderful I am going to whip up something on this snowy day.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete