Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Wednesday's Word - Mindful

Mindful, the word, have you seen it?  I'm sure you have, it's everywhere.  Even at the last 4H district meeting..."teaching youth to be 'mindul' ...(fill in the blank)".  

"Conscious or aware of something"
"Focusing one's awareness on the present moment especially as part of a therapeutic or meditative technique"

Well, in my opinion, mindfulness or the practice of this, in today's busy, technology driven, minute to minute life we've all pushed ourselves into, is near impossible to achieve.  But, we owe it to ourselves to strive for it.  

The other day I was driving and my cell was ringing.  I was tempted to pick it up.  Out of some self-inflicted obligation to answer it.  Who is it?  What do they want?  Then I heard this ...."mom! stop talking/texting and driving" ringing in my ears.  Nope, it can wait.  O.k. that one is easy, it's a safety thing - however, I still see so many people doing this!  

I don't know why and I know that I do it to myself (path of PROGRESSION here) but, I miss the good ole' days when we didn't have to be so "accessible."  Hey, Dicky Bird, news flash - you don't!  Listen here! Dicky Bird...you don't!  And, neither do you.  I surely hope, most of you have figured this out already!  

That type of "accessibilty" the obligatory, isn't being mindful. 

 As I type this, I can think of so many examples of how I've failed at being mindful, because I was too accessible.  This has really escalated in my life, since my empty nest.  Maybe it was, because I needed to be needed, keep my mind on other things, just keeping busy; I'm not sure.  I do know that during this time, I dove head first into my business.  I think I used it as my therapy for loss.  I can't explain it, I'm still working on it.  However, I now know that, Dicky Bird's empty nest, is the root.  There is actually something called "empty nest syndrome" which full time, hand's on every aspect kind of mom's seem to struggle more with.  In all mindullness...I need to weed through this, so that I can bloom.   

I saw this phrase, "mind full or mindful" - yep, I better get to weeding...


Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


5 comments:

  1. I was just listening to someone this morning talking about how we completely fill our lives with everything (phone, computer, television, etc.) and don't leave space for simply quiet time. How can we think, or even listen, when we're so concerned about making ourselves always accessible. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good post! You really are good at these. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now my mind is Mind Full...but the cell phone bit, I have bluetooth in my car, so I can talk hands free...and I love it! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts....Does empty nest syndrome ever go away? I am still adjusting...but trying 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  5. In some ways, this post and your last are quite similar.... I think we all need to be more "mindful" of others, and of ourselves. Yes, the accessibility thing...like I said, no one is indispensible...and it is quite selfish to think that we are so important that calls need to be taken immediately...even if it means interrupting or ignoring someone who is with you. I guess I have a natural repulsion to phones and the like. After spending so much of my working days on the phone (and, at the county, being expected to talk with ANYONE AND EVERYONE who wanted to talk with me WHEN they wanted to talk to me), I now avoid phones probably more than I should LOL...and have a low tolerance for others who are glued to theirs.....

    ReplyDelete