Monday, March 30, 2020

Motivational Monday - Infect, Effect, Affect

Our pastor, who is also my brother, often inspires my Motivational Monday posts.  This one included.  

Infect:  Contaminate with harmful organisims
Effect:  A change that is the result of a consequence
Affect:  To make a difference

Hello...are you hanging in there?  #Knowyour truth moment here...I have so many projects and work I need to get done, that "this," is actually helping me.  I guess it took a pandemic to enlighten my "busy" choices.  However, that is for another post.

Something, that was said in our livestream Sunday School lesson yesterday, made me think on these words.  I knew it would be a Motivational Monday blog post.  Review the definitions above and proceed....teehee...

In this time, when we may "infect" our friends, family and neighbors, we need to be mindful of the "effect" of our actions yet, we should still want to have an "affect" on those around us.  

In my attempt to motivate you today, think on that, those words.  Yes, with Covid-19, we understand the "infect, effect" but, it's the "affect" that we should focus on.  This would still stand as motivation even outside of a virus.  Or rather, to live our life like a virus - we will "infect" with postivity, that will "effect" the situation, so that we may have an "affect" on the outcome.  I like it!

As most of us have a bit more time on our hands, at least until April 30? let's think of ways in which we can "affect" our communities.  I would challenge you to come up with something you can do.  This, helping others, will also have an "effect that will affect" your mindset.  Here are a few ideas, however please feel free to share yours.

1.  Break out the cards.  Yes, regular old snail mail.  Many of us connect daily via social media, however there are nursing homes residents, who can not.  Make some cards, send a package or drop them off at the door of a nursing home.   You could make thank you cards and do the same at some of the "essential" businesses.  

2.  Thinking on "essential" businesses, if you are able, support them.  One of our favorite pizza places in Wausau, shared that a customer came for a curb side pickup and gave a nice tip to share with the staff and another customer paid for the next 5 pizzas.  Many of the shops are doing online shopping, home delivery and curb side pick ups.  This is for more than food by the way.  Let's try to support their efforts!  Hey, buy an extra....drop it off at friend's house.

3.  One of my 4H mom's is doing a live "reading time" via facebook live.  Her family is also doing bi-weekly music nights - sing alongs.  A highschool friend, who lives in a suburb of Chicago, posted a picture of his neighborhood playing sidewalk BINGO.  My friend, a basket weaver, is boxing up kits, sending them to customers and doing videos of how to make it - my daughter did this and loved it.  Another of my 4H moms is doing a daily guessing game..."my toddler or puppy" where she says some little funny and we have to guess was it Hannah or Luke.  If you are creative, do something like this to enlighten and brighten our days.

4.  I think many of us are baking and cooking more.  Make an extra loaf of banana bread and give it to a shut in neighbor or drop off at one of the "essential" business as a thank you.

5.  My heart hurts for those little ones, who no fault of their own, find themselves in an "unsafe" home - where, maybe school was their "refuge" for a few hours...now they don't have that.  I have no idea how to help with this, other than I've been praying.  Because I am involved in our local community, I can think of a few little kids I actually know.  I have plans to do something for them.  Please be aware of those in your neighborhood as well.  Maybe drop off some McDonald gift certificates, a bag of groceries, box of old books, paper, craft supplies....just leave them on the porch...no one even need to know it was from you.  




O.k. I hope you can think of a way that you can "affect" those around you.  Who knows, maybe this will be infectious. 

Blessing from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

4 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome post Jacky. Very inspirational, which reminded me of what my dad use to say. For every action, there is a reaction, so having a positive affect with gain you a positive reaction. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another encouraging and uplifting post Jackie.... (The grammar teacher and me wants to suggest though that you have your 'effects" and "affects" confused in several places LOL....). You've made some great suggestions... I have been so worried about my mom in assisted living and not being able to have visitors. No matter how many times she may be told, she won't remember why....and her hearing is quite hit-and-miss so calling isn't ideal (not to mention that it takes the 1 sole employee away from others for that period of time). I have also tried buying gift certificates and the like from small businesses who I know this is affecting.... It may not be a long-term solution, but might help with the day-to-day business of life. I like the idea of the online games....especially the toddler/puppy one... But for shame...the first thing that popped into my head was "my husband or....???" LOL.... Happy Monday....hope your week is off to a great start! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops...and I think I did the wrong spelling on your name LOL... Payback for being a grammar Nazi LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely ideas. Soap is hard to come by, so if you can make soap this would help and cleaning materials. A simple phone call can lift spirits to someone living alone. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete