Friday, March 20, 2020

Dicky Bird's Tomato Basil Soup

One day, I had "nothing" (good) in the pantry, except, jars of my tomato preserves.  So I made some tomato soup.  It eventually became this recipe.  I have had so many requests for it, it is so easy, I'm almost embarrased to share it.  I made it yesterday, a request from Justine, and took the whole kettle to her house.  My little grand, loves it!  "Mmmm Gram Bird" it tickled my heart!  So here goes.....

Always start with the best quality of fresh ingredients you can find and afford.  Always "roast" veggies - it's how you get the flavor!  

I cut up tomatoes and sweet onion, added crushed garlic and fresh basil leaves (no stems) to a pan.  Drizzle with 1/4 cup or so olive oil, roll this all around so it is covered, sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregeno.  Bake 300 for about an hour or until the tomatoes start to break down.



Take all the roasted veggies and put into a kettle



To this add a can of tomato juice (could be your own), 1 can of tomato paste, a box of vegetable stock (could be your own) and 1 box (use the same one) of water.



I also add some more fresh basil, parsley (no stems) and 2 T sugar.  Bring to a slow little bubbling boil and turn down to low and let it all melt together for about 30-45 minutes.   After this, I use my hand immersion blender and "blend" until smooth, right in the kettle.  Now, taste it...if you want more salt, pepper or sugar add and blend again.  If it is too thick to your liking, add more water.  




That's it, so simple.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

2 comments:

  1. Love homemade tomato soup... I always make (make that "made" as I have done run out) with our home-canned stewed tomatoes. I think I remember you sharing this recipe before and I had vowed I would try it...thanks for the reminder.... I may actually get around to doing it.... IF the store hasn't been wiped clean of tomatoes...and stock....and tomato paste/juice. It's getting brutal out there.... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMMY! Will need to make some homemade. I cheat and use Progresso tomato basil soup and add whipping cream. Will need to try from scratch now. Janice

    ReplyDelete