Thursday, March 5, 2020

Thrift Store Thursday - "First Monday's" Dime & Dollar

My friend Jamie is the manager at Dime & Dollar Thrift Shop in Wausau, Wisconsin.  Link to their fb page here:    https://www.facebook.com/dimeanddollar/

When you donate to Dime & Dollar, the monies raised from the sale of your extra items, goes to Northland Lutheran High School in Kronenwetter (stays right here).  Many people volunteer their time, sorting, marking, staging, cleaning, checking out - all avenues of the shop upkeep.  Jamie asked me, early on this year, if I would be interested in doing some DIY classes.  Of course!  So, I also decided to donate my time and volunteer in this way, as it's right up my alley!

So, I am calling them "First Monday's" (I don't know why I have to name things...it's my OCD I'm sure...LOL).  This past Monday, March 2, we did a needle felting class.  Jamie and staff set up a little classroom in the back, it was so nice!   The classes will be only an hour from 6-7 pm.  

The purpose in doing this, is to educate the customer to think about the inventory at the shop in a different light.  I came up with a little gnome project that you could put in a jar or glass container to look like a terrarium or garden.  Jamie, came up with the glass and little seed lights from inventory in the shop.  It turned out really cute!   






I gave my "tips" for finding supplies at thrift shops; where and what to look for.  Dime & Dollar keeps all proceeds.  It was nice to see several paid more than the cost of the class, as a donation.  

Next month, April 6, 6-7 pm, I will be talking about "Spring Cleaning" - a shorter version of my "What to Keep, What to Sell, What to Donate" class I teach at UWSP.  I will have a few fun twists to the class.  

The purpose in doing these classes is to generate an interest in donating your extra items and shopping to find something you could use for another purpose.  Jamie already posts DIY ideas on the fb page.  

I would encourage you to shop the thrifts for your DIY projects.  Don't overlook the craft bins, racks of linens, blankets and fabric.  When we do our estate sales, often times these types of items are donated.  Thrift shops are full of them, look at that inventory in a new light.  Let your creativity flow. 

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

Linked to: My Thrift Store Addiction
 https://mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com/2020/03/vintage-charm-party-222-and-february.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MyThriftStoreAddiction+%28My+Thrift+Store+Addiction+%29

3 comments:

  1. Your gnomes are adorable. Sounds like great fun!I love looking in thrift stores (in Maine Goodwills, an occasional Salv Army and a few church/animal shelter thrifts are the most common) for DIY potential supplies. I find silk flowers, craft scissors, rubber stamps, yarn, cloth, linens, clothing that I upcycle, glassware, etc. As well as items I put into my antique/vintage booth. I've turned placemats into throw pillows, shower curtains into tablecloths, blouses into stuffed pumpkins, you name it! I bet you could do a session of just walking through the store and having the group brainstorm what they would do with particular items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I love shopping the thrifts for fun finds to repurpose.... Some of my most creative creations came from finding something in a thrift and wondering what I could do with it. Now, unfortunately, I could thrift in my own basement I think LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete