Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Tips on Tuesday - S.M.A.R.T. Goals

I was recently at a Marathon County meeting, where we had to break into groups.  The speaker gave us direction using S.M.A.R.T. goals.  It was a useful concept that was beneficial in our planning.  

I "googled it"  "Who came up with S.M.A.R.T. goals idea?"  This is what I found:

It is generally accepted that the SMART acronym was first written down in November 1981 in Spokane, Washington. George T. Doran, a consultant and former Director of Corporate Planning for Washington Water Power Company published a paper titled "There's a S.M.A.R.T. Way to Write Management's Goals and Objectives".

S.M.A.R.T.  (I usually limit myself to 5 tips...5 letters, perfect)

S:  Specific (simple, sensible, significant)
M:  Measurable (meaningful, motivating)
A:  Achievable (agreed, attainable)
R:  Relevant (reasonable, realistic, resourced, result based)
T:  Time Bound (time based, time limited, time sensitive)


After that meeting, I have to admit, I do think on this concept in setting my goals.  I will also tell you, I think on the "smart" concept in a more personal sense.  Is this "smart" for me to continue, do, participate in....kind of way....too.   I've fallen pretty hard this past year, several times, carrying furniture, so that wasn't "smart".....I'm thankful, I didn't break anything.  

When setting goals, daily or long range, the S.M.A.R.T.  concept is really a great tool.  For me, it reminds me to "pull back on my reins," "whoa before I go," because, I know all too well that getting the "cart before the horse" is not a smart idea.  (teehee...)

So, my tips for today is to set S.M.A.R.T. goals and be "smart" about it.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


1 comment:

  1. We have to use these smart goals all of the time at work. Janice

    ReplyDelete