Thursday, January 23, 2020

Thursday Thrift Find - Glass Eggs

"Don't 'clack' that egg on the table" my mom said to this little Dicky Bird.  "Those are old, you put them in a hen's nesting box to trick her into laying eggs."  We did not have chickens, however, I was fascinated in the glass egg then and now.  Thinking about it today, that fascination was probably some of the inspiration in my chicken collection.   That and my love of collecting things....eek...





I didn't understand the "trickery" of chicken keeping, until I had a flock and coop of my own.  I've never used one of these eggs, however I do understand the why to the trickery.  When a hen sees an egg, she and her friends, lay theirs in the same little "clutch."  Then one or two of them will become broody and want to set on them.  If they are fertile eggs, it'll take 21 days for them to hatch.  Leaving a little glass egg in a box will get the hen to thinkin' I'm gonna lay mine here too.  Then you go out and gather up the real ones.  Unfortunately, my hens are rogue, they hide a clutch and 21 days or so later, here a hen will come with a line of little chicks.  I love it!

The last two of these I found, while setting up an estate sale.  They were inside a cardboard cottage cheese container up on the rafter of an old shed.  As dusty and dirty as that was, I knew what they were.  Score, I bought them.

Every time I think I'm done collecting chicken stuff, I find something too cute to pass on.  Happy Thrifting!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:  https://mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com/2020/01/vintage-charm-party-216.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MyThriftStoreAddiction+%28My+Thrift+Store+Addiction+%29
   

2 comments:

  1. Yep we use to use these glass eggs. Brings back memories every time I see them! Great chicken collection. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story about your rogue hens--that brought a smile to my face. The glass eggs are new to me, too. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete