Friday, January 10, 2020

Door County Cherry & Almond, Cinnamon Rolls

Door County, Wisconsin ranks 4th in the United States for cherry production.   It hosts 2,500 acres of cherry orchards with 270,000 cherry trees and harvesting over 10.5 million pounds of cherries, on average per year.   Wisconsinites love the peninsula.  If you ever get a change to come to Wisconsin, Door County, is a must see!  

So, with that said.  I visited 2 times last fall.  There are many wonderful farmer's markets that sell all kinds of produce - Door County has wonderful apples as well.  My personal favorite is Wood Orchard Market:  http://www.woodorchard.com/

I purchased some dried, no sugar added, cherries.  I created this recipe with these in mind.



Rolls:
2 C flour
1/3 C granulated sugar
1 t salt
2 packages yeast (4 1/2 t)
Stir together

1 C milk (warm to 120-130)
pour into dry mixture along with
1/4 C very soft butter
1 large egg
1 t vanilla extract
Beat together and gradually add another
2 C flour, 1 C at a time, when dough pulls away from sides,
take out and knead at least 5 minutes.  

Put dough ball into a well greased bowl and let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  I do this with a warm, damp towel on top with my oven set to proof.   

While dough is rising, chop up 1 C of cherries, put 2 t vanilla extract on top and let set and soak up the extract.  



In another bowl add
1 C brown sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 C slivered almonds (I did crush some)




When dough is ready



I mostly melted a stick of butter - pour some into a large cake pan and prepare the bottom and sides.

Roll your dough into a rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick or so, pour the remaining butter on the top of dough and spread out.  Spread your "sugar" mixture on top and sprinkle with the cherries.  



Roll up and cut into 12 rolls.  Place in buttered pan.  Cover and let rise again until they double in size.  When ready, bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30-40 minutes.



I also purchased some cherry syrup from Wood Orchard.  So, I just mixed the syrup and powdered sugar for a pretty, pink glaze.




I just enjoyed one, that I warmed in the microwave, with my coffee while typing this post, yum!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

2 comments:

  1. I do wish I lived near you so that I could pop over for a sample, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful recipe. We here in Michigan also have a cherry capital in Traverse City. Lots of cherries when the season is around. Janice

    ReplyDelete