Saturday, January 4, 2020

Dolly - My Little Hero


This is our sweet dog, Dolly.  I could hardly tell you about Dolly, without telling you about her mama...Minnie.  I searched my old blog posts and found the sweetest post about her.  Minnie:  https://dickybirdsnest.blogspot.com/2015/12/minnies-story.html

Dolly, as you will find out reading that post, was Anna's dog.  Honestly, they were the best of friends.  Dolly knew she was Anna's dog too.  So, when Anna married and moved to Milwaukee (which, I know was hard on both of them - well, Jon too, because Anna missed her so much) Dolly was alone with me.  

If you recall, both of our daughters married within 8 months of each other.  I really thought I would have more "time" with them at home (it goes by fast!), so without my even realizing it, Dolly became my dog.  I've been thinking of this over this past year, 5 years later, how much I needed her.  She is a constant companion, following me everywhere!  If I'm in the garden, she is laying under the oak tree watching me.  If I'm working in my shop, there she is, laying on the driveway facing the road to see who is coming.  If I'm in the barn, there she is helping me throw hay down.  She is my little shadow.  If she happens to fall asleep, which she does more of now and I go outside, Al will let her out and say "go find Mommy."  That silly little dog will have her nose to the ground and follow my steps, over to the chicken coop, over to the barn, run around my building....there I am....it's a little game.

I just wanted to share about Dolly with you as she is my little hero, helping me work through some of my empty nest issues without my even knowing it.  She is a sweet old girl, laying right by my feet, even as I type this.  My nest wasn't so empty afterall.  

Pets are so special!  Large or small, they can surly fill a heart with happiness!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

4 comments:

  1. Yes they can..Wonderful post.. hikchik

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt that way about my cat, Shadow. He was actually supposed to be my younger son's cat, but over the year he became mine and when son moved out Shadow stayed. He was always waiting for me when I came home with a loud meow. Whenever I sat to ate he'd be climbing over the table between the chairs to try to get a treat. I still miss him. I was never really a cat person, but Shadow was something special. Sigh.

    We haven't got any pets now. I'm just not ready for one. Not for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are indeed a blessing and are a great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pets are so in tune to their owners. Loved hearing the story about Dolly and how she can find you no matter where you are. A great (pet) friend indeed! Janice

    ReplyDelete