Thursday, January 30, 2020

Thrift Store Thursday - Fondue

My recent interest in everything hygge, had me on the look out for fondue pots.  I found 2, the orange one was $1.50 and the white one was $2.50.  I wanted one for savory and one for sweet.    


While visiting Anna, we found the cheeses at Hennings Cheese Factory.  



Here is how I made it:

Melt it all in a kettle on the stove first, till nice and smooth, before you transfer to the fondue pot.

Rub a clove of garlic in the kettle and the fondue pot - I don't know why, that is what all the recipes said...

Grate 2 C Gruyere and 2 C Swiss cheese, put in the kettle and sprinkle 1 T corn starch and stir it around to coat the cheese.  Put on low and slowly melt, when it starts to melt, add 1 C white wine (chicken stock), pepper and a few grates of nutmeg.  That's it, simple!  Savory done!







For the sweet one, I made a simple caramel sauce.  Here's how I did it:  

1 C brown sugar in a kettle with 1/2 stick of butter.  Melt, stir constantly.  Add 1/2 C heavy cream, 1 T vanilla and pinch of salt.  Cook, stir, until bubbly and thick.








I was so tickled to find these.  Over 30 years of resell, I've sold, donated and maybe even tossed several of these.  

I made a crusty bread and a pound cake for dipping.  Here are the recipes.  The bread recipe is my own.  

Crusty Bread:

2 C flour and 1 C whole wheat flour in a bowl.  Add 2 1/4 t dry yeast and 1/2 t salt, stir together.  Heat up 1 1/4 C water to 115 degrees and put in 2 T honey.  Add this to the flour and stir together.  It is dry, I knead in the bowl until all the flour is blended...I even kneaded it an extra 2 minutes or so.   Prepare a pan with butter and corn meal.  Let it rise right in the bowl, cover it with a damp towel, rise until doubled about 2 hours and bake at 350 degress till done.










Pound cake - I found on pinterest - sorry I don't know who it was...

12 T butter
1 C sugar
1 T vanilla
4 Eggs
1/4 C heavy cream
2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt

Beat butter and sugar till fluffy, add vanilla and eggs 1 at a time, add heavy cream.  Blend in flour, baking powder and salt.  Pour into a prepared loaf pan, bake 350 for 60 min.

I love the fondue pots, I want to do one with broth now like a Chinese Hot Pot.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin  

Linked to:  https://mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com/2020/01/vintage-charm-party-217.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MyThriftStoreAddiction+%28My+Thrift+Store+Addiction+%29

3 comments:

  1. Yummy, all looks so tasty. We used to have fondue parties many moons ago, I haven't seen a fondue set in years. We always had the rule 'no double dunking' lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain’s steak joint ( Dixie creme donut shop) had wonderful cheese fondue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fondue! This brought back fond memories--thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete