Thursday, January 9, 2020

Thrift Store Thursday - Buy it, to Try it

One of my favorite areas in any thrift shop, is over by the kitchen gadgets.  I know, we now have intapots, ninjas and all kinds of modern utensils, but I can't help myself.  Even if I only....."buy it, to try it"....I am fascinated by the vintage and retro gadgets.  I had all I could do but not buy a yogurt maker the other day.  I really regret that I didn't!  

I found this, a box that said, English Muffin Rings, with the recipe on the back.  O.k. that I can try.  It was also only $0.75.




After reading the recipe, I realized it made 8 English muffins.  So, I used some large, wide mouth, canning rings.  Those worked too, so if you decide to try the recipe, you could use those.  



If you are afraid or even new to working with yeast, I would suggest you buy a little thermometer, so that you can make sure your liquids are the right temperature.  Too hot??  Not hot enough??....take the guessing out and make sure.  



This recipe called for "scalded milk" this makes the dough "fluffier" - that's what I've been told.  My mom told me this; to scald milk, take it off just before it boils, when little bubbles form around the sides.  When you pour the milk out a small film will coat the bottom of kettle.  I also googled this - milk scalds at 180 degrees....I also used the thermometer.  



After first "rise"....




.....ready for the oven.....




I am going to "tweek" this recipe.  I would not have baked as long as the recipe said.  I plan to substitute the sugar with honey.  They did have some holes, but not like store bought ones.  So, next time, I think I will let it rise longer the second time.  

Last year I cut my bread intake by over 75%.  I'm not on a Keto diet or anything.  Rather, I feel better when I reduce my carb intake.  If I have bread here, I'll eat it....and toast it...add butter and jam...and....it's one of my favorites.   So, this was a real big treat for me, homemade English muffins!  For breakfast today, I made an egg and cheese one.  So good!!  

So, the next time you find yourself perusing the thrift shop, go over by the retro kitchen gadgets and see what you can find.  Even if you just "buy it, to try it" .... that's my motto anyway....

Happy thrifting!  
Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:  My Thrift Store Addiction...go over and read other posts from bloggers....
https://mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com/2020/01/vintage-charm-party-214.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MyThriftStoreAddiction+%28My+Thrift+Store+Addiction+%29

3 comments:

  1. That english muffin looked so yummy. Great find in finding that recipe! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look lovely! Those rings look like the rings that go on canning jars. I see it has a recipe for crumpets - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I haven't made homemade English muffins but these look tasty! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete