Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Tips On Tuesday - Being Thrifty

Coming from a very simple (I hate the word poor, we were rich in what mattered!) background, I grew in the knowledge of all things thrifty.  I honestly didn't know the difference until I entered junior high school.  

Even today, with all the blessings God has given me, I still have a thrifty mindset.  Truth be known, I could go buy everything I wanted new, we all could.  Having it be paid for, or being debt free is another thing.  

I know other friends, whom grew up similar to myself, that now have wonderful careers...professionals...I still see them at the thrift shops.  One day, I stopped an old friend and said..."I know you don't NEED to shop here...LOL"  She said "neither do you, but here we are...ahahah."  Old habits..sometimes are good habits.  

I had to laugh at last night's 4H meeting.  O.K. it's stereotype time...for a good reason....ready?  We have several home schooled children, whom all attend the same church, who have mother's at home, single income kinda group....I have a point here, I do.... 3 of the girls were in the same "budget" group.  It was a game where you placed value (candy pieces) on items you felt were things you would spend money on.  Insurance, car, phones...etc.  They had several pieces of candy left and questions with empty boxes under "entertainment."  They could have put a piece of candy on all of the choices, they had enough...but, this group chose all the FREE entertainment...hiking, biking, library...I had all I could do not chuckle...yep, that's what I'd do too!  Then, to my suprise, they added the extras to....savings (good job mamas!).  

So, I thought for my Tips on Tuesday - Being Thrifty, I am taking some cues from my "Thrifty 4H girls"

1.  Know what you spend your money on.  Keep track of every little thing you spend.  It's often times the little things that add up in a big way.  Figure out where your money goes.  Then you can create a "needs -vs- wants" mind set.

2.  I would suggest you set aside a percentage of your income for savings.  If you have automatic deposit, take it out of that account and put in an actual savings account.  I still have paper checks, so therefore, I "squirrel away" cash...either way, start saving.

(Money I found that someone "squirred away" too!)

3.  Shop second hand, social media sites or marketplace.  If this concept is new to you, try it out on something you are comfortable with.  I wouldn't suggest buying a tractor off eBay, however we did - sight unseen, it was even delivered here.  But, we're experienced thrifters...lol.

4.  Cook at home more.  Make your own coffee.  Look for FREE entertainment opportunities.  Volunteer your time in exchange for some goods/services.  Barter and trade with friends and others.  I have 50 squash, I'll trade you 20 for a bushel of tomatoes.  Or, I'll watch your children this day in exchange for you doing the same for me another.  Tons of ideas here.

5.   Look on YouTube for "how do I fix this?" or "how do I do this?"  Often times we are able to do more than we thought we could by just trying.  My husband has saved us thousands by doing just that.  "The washing machine is making a funny noise" I can guarantee you there is a YouTube video on how to fix it.  Look up how to do your own things on the Internet or pinterest.  Making your own (____) not only could save you money, but you can have pride in doing and learning it.  

So, that is a bit more than 5.  Your thrifty savings could be put toward something you need or for someone else's needs.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.


1 comment:

  1. You forgot a valuable tidbit.....learn from others success. Your advice is truly spot on good advice because you lived it, you experienced it, you are someone i look at and feel im in the company of a rich lady

    ReplyDelete