Monday, January 1, 2018

2018 Word Of The Year - STRIVE


Well, that's it, that's my word of the year for 2018 - STRIVE.  I let "fate" pick it, even though I had some other awesome words I would have rather picked - this is the one I drew out of the bag.  So....I will STRIVE not to cheat and pick a new one...(wink, wink).  There...I used it already!

Here is the definition of strive:


verb
verb: strive; 3rd person present: strives; past tense: strove; past tense: strived; gerund or present participle: striving; past participle: striven
  1. make great efforts to achieve or obtain something.

    "national movements were striving for independence"
    • struggle or fight vigorously.

      "scholars must strive against bias"

      synonyms:try (hard), attemptendeavoraimventure, make an effort, exert oneself, do one's best, do all one can, do one's utmost, laborwork
      informalgo all out, give it one's best shot, pull out all the stops; 
      formalessay
      "I shall strive to be virtuous"
      strugglefightbattlecombat;
      campaigncrusade


      I guess in looking at the definition, this jumps out at me:  "give it one's best shot, pull out all the stops."  I always try to do my best, all I can, but sometimes I fail in completing them.  

I have a bag, if you will, full of wonderful plans and ideals, I do draw from that, but I don't always make it "all happen."  I've learned not to share all of these with people, because no one knows what you had planned to do, only what you completed.  

So, this year I guess, I will STRIVE to complete more of my plans.  I will STRIVE to stick with my budget, exercise, diet, Bible reading....fill in the blank....  It might be hard, but I will "give it my best shot."  

I'm liking this word so much more already.  I googled strive and came up with this interesting article about ways to strive for excellence:

In reading the list of 20 - I see some of the words that were in my bag...that's interesting...because when I chose STRIVE I wasn't thinking how that word would encompass many of my other word's meanings.  

In picking a word of the year, I've now already set a course to, in a direction to, fulfill that word.  I'm telling you, picking a word is fun!  Al decided to pick from my bag too, he picked bold.  

So, I will STRIVE to:  (watch for future blog posts)

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:
http://www.create-with-joy.com/2018/01/2018-one-word-blog-hop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment