Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Peach Pies

As I mentioned yesterday - I did make some pies.  I actually tried 2 different recipes to see which was the best one.  I had my family vote and it is a tie.  Al said they both were equally good for different reasons.  I would agree.

Pie A:  



This recipe was out of Taste of Home.  

Pie B:



This recipe out of an old cookbook.

Both pies had a strussel top crust.  I actually used store bought pie shells (on sale for $1 each) and put in my own larger pan.  

For both pies I started out with the peaches



I washed, peeled and cut into slices right off the pit.




Now for the recipes:

Pie A:  was all about the peach.  No other flavors added - so the peach was the star.

1 egg white
1 unbaked shell
3/4 C flour
1/2 C brown sugar
1/3 C white sugar
1/4 C butter
6 C fresh peaches - sliced

Brush your shell with the beaten egg white.  Set aside.  Combine flour, sugars and butter until it forms fine crumbs.  Put 2/3 mixture into the shell, add the sliced peaches and sprinkle remaining crumbs on top.  Bake 375 for 40-45 min.






Pie B:  was more about the spice.  

6 C fresh peaches - sliced
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
3 T corn starch
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t salt
1 lemon - zest and juice
1 T butter

Combine peach slices with sugars.  Let rest to develop the juice - 30 minutes or so.  Combine corn starch, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, zest and juice from 1 lemon in a small sauce pan.  Strain off the juice from the peaches.  Stir well as not to make lumps.  I mixed together before adding the heat.  Once thick add the butter and pour over the peaches.  







Pour into your shell.  Top with the following:

1 C brown sugar
1 C flour
1/4 C butter
2 t cinnamon

Combine the above till forms fine crumbs and sprinkle on top of the peaches.  Bake 375 40-45 min.  




I liked both pies.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures make me hungry : )
    I love peaches and love making crumb-topped cobblers with them. Looking through the ingredients, the one thing I've never used is brown sugar...I always use white. But that looks like a good idea.
    Thanks for this comparison of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both look delicious, but I think pie B sounds like the one I would choose!

    ReplyDelete