Monday, May 31, 2021

Gardening Thoughts on Memorial Day

Memorial Day, a time to reflect on those who paid the ultimate price for the freedom we enjoy today.  Another friend, Robin, pointed out that she remembers those they left behind as well.   The mamas and loved ones bear/bore all that pain of the loss.  Do I agree with the reasons that created such loss, NO Way!  Am I and those I love blessed by such great loss, YOU Bet!  

I know that Memorial Day began after the Civil War, however life was lost in this great old country we live in, way before that.  We are to remember all those who died in battle, fighting for American freedoms.  I can't help but think of the many Native Americans who died in fighting for that long before the English came here.  Not to get political, I don't want to argue.   

These thoughts are on my mind as I recently read a book set in 1700's America.  As I read it, new light was cast on the struggle.  My perspective on native women especially has lingered and changed the way I look at myself as a decendent of Potawatomi women.  

I was also thinking about a scripture that says, "She works willingly with her hands" Proverbs 31:13.  That, perspective comes as a decendent of strong Christian women.  

I worked in my garden over the past few days.  I ordered my seeds this year from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  My friend, Renee, shared some squash she planted called Lakota (from the Lakota tribe's heirloom seeds).  I ordered those this year.  I started the seeds in my greenhouse and yesterday transplanted 68 into my garden.  As I put each into the ground, I said a prayer for their growth, thanked my creator, and thought about the generations of native women who did he same.  I am blessed! 


I also weeded my raised beds and planted stuff in those too.



I have "big" garden plans, again, but we will see how it ends up.  I know my dreams are bigger than I am physically able to do.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

6 comments:

  1. Big gardens are so wonderful but involves more more than I can do. I have a tiny veggie garden to give me just enough to be happy but I will have to buy from the local farm stand. It is a solemn day to remember.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that! I was thinking I may not be able to keep up with this one either. Yes, it is!

      Delete
  2. Here's hoping your garden grows a plenty. Yes, the foremothers and forefathers of the 1700's sacrificed so much in this new country of ours. May we remember all who lost their lives for our freedom...which at times we may take for granted. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. If I can keep my chickens, the deer and rabbits out, it may be. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. I may have given you food for thought in my post, but you have given me food for thought in yours: I do need to be more consciously mindful of those earlier times in our nation's history and all the battles fought to bring us where we are now even though we may not think of those who participated in them as "service" men or women. And speaking of food, 68 squash plants???! Seriously?? You must have REALLY liked the squash your friend gave you. Won't that take up lots and lots of space?? Well, if you find yourself with an overabundance, let me know....I really, really, like squash LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the squash, but I didn't know that almost all the seeds would come up. You know me, I do excess...like bake 2 chickens as long as I'm baking 1 kind of thing. ahaha. I might as well start 80 seeds...as long as I'm doing 20....help me Lord.

      Delete