Friday, May 14, 2021

Collections: A Study of Harrison Fisher

 Harrison Fisher (1875/77? - 1934)



Was an American born artist and illustrator.  Both is father and grandfather were also artists.  He spent most of his youth drawing and later attended the San Francisco Art Association.  In 1898 he moved back to New York and began his career as a newspaper and magazine illustrator, working for the San Francisco Call and San Francisco Examiner, drawing sketches and decorative work.  His work appeared regularily on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine from early 1900's until his death in 1934.   

Harrison Fisher is probably the most famous of all the early 20th century artists who specialized in "pretty women" illustrations.  Between 1907-1914 he illustrated 15 art books which vividly depicts American women.  Between 1894-1934 he created nearly 600 magazine covers, along with an assortment of newspaper supplements and numerous pieces of interior magazine art.  During this same time period you could see his work in advertising, posters, sheet music, club and group programs, calendars, books and a wide range of paper collectibles.  Some of his "non-paper" items were on candy and cookie tins and boxes, glasses and peper weights.  He was given the title "The Father of A Thousand Girls."  

For me, as an antique dealer, I can spot his styling of women mostly, by the bow of their head and the turn of their chin.  Often times the women wore beautiful hats as well.  I chose this collection study of him, because I am selling pieces of a collection for a client.  This client is also an artist who chose a career as an art teacher for a small town in northern Wisconsin.  The pieces I am selling from her collection.  

I will be listing these tomorrow, May 15, 2021 on a new thing I'm doing called "Show & Sell" (get it...ahahah)  I "show and tell it" in a blog post and then I "list to sell it" on my group here:  Town Hall Trinkets Online Estate Sales  If you like any, I can ship. 

Here is a sample of what we will be starting with.  I did buy the maidens....I love them!  All of these are not orginals, they are old prints from various publications she had professionally framed or she purchased from an antique shop already framed.  










She attached on all the pieces a slip of paper with little notes about them.  Some are more detailed than others.  She has a catalog of her collection, pages and pages, it's a good tip for those who have an extensive collection.  That way you can keep track of what you have and value or purchase price.  So that, one day, someone doesn't just "toss" them.  

I hope you check out the posts tomorrow.  Thanks.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the history of this artist. Did not know of him, but loved reading what you wrote about him. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty and very extensive. I hope the sale went well.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete