Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Cultivating Titus 2:4 Mentor not Monitor

 It happens over night, but here it is:

My Titus 2:4 interpretation:  "Older women help to lovingly train young women, by example"  I know, it's a broad interpretation....but, that is the "jest" of what I read.

My intention is to mentor not monitor...ahaha

When Lisa and I were just starting out doing antique shows we had such great examples of older vendors.  JoVonnie comes to my mind first, Kay (she is still doing them), "Granny," Pat, I should stop before I forget someone.  

The world was different, as in no internet, craigslist, even eBay or Google.  These women were little gems of knowledge.  Many were eager to share it, some not so much...teehee...

These past few years, Lisa and my favorite quote from JoVonnie is "girls, you're going to regret that one day!" as we carried in a primitive wardrobe - no dolly - just us.  We laughed at this as we set up our booth.  We aren't laughing now...

Setting up barn sales, we did this first at Lisa's house...."why would anyone have a sale in a barn?".... over 25 years ago.  Monthly markets at my farm in my buildings...."why don't you have a shop in town?" or "you do this only once a month?" ...yes, we've heard it all....in all those years.  So, we do have some knowledge to share in these areas.  

Some women in the business don't want to share.  I get it, you've worked hard to establish yourself, no one "helped" you, but listen...sharing is not just "giving away your secrets" it is mentoring a person to hopefully carry on in a trade long after you are done.  Also, sharing helps a business more than it hurts it.   A local greenhouse owner decided to retire this year, we all didn't see it coming, she had such a gracious post and I thought, I want to retire that way!   Know when it's my time to go and not hang on to it.  I'm not retiring yet, but I know I will want to do other things one day.  I already do and have different plans (wink, wink) on how to age in this business.  

So, whatever it is you do, don't forget to share in the knowledge of it, be a mentor, but not a monitor.  Do you have someone that helped you get started?   What examples did they leave you with?  



Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  



9 comments:

  1. All my friends in the antique business are always helpful to one another. I have learned so much from them and they I. We bounce things off each other. What a pretty pillow you have! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be where I am at in my little business today, had I not had some of these mentors. I choose friends, however, not on my part, but I'm sure some could be "frenemies"....ahahahah I love that pillow and truthfully keep it out all year, however takes center stage in February

      Delete
  2. We are in very different professions (well, I am referring to my "former" profession of course), but as far as antiquities go, most people do not find me reticent one wee little bit in "sharing my knowledge" LOL....In fact, they probably wish they hadn't asked the question that unleashed the flood. ;-) But I do agree, there is a huge gulf of difference between mentoring and monitoring and I do not believe it is in anyone's nature to appreciate or enjoy "monitoring" (although sometimes necessary). I am curious as to what you have up your sleeve for the future.... Sweet little pillow..... ~Robin~ (PS....I know I have some pillows to collect...wish I had them for the weekend, but too late now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate wisdom and knowledge and I'm sure others view your conversations that way as well. Yes, sometimes monitoring is necessary..ahahah...especially when you mentor and share, just to find out...(wink, wink)...well, I think you know what I'm talking about. Yes, I have your pillows.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of sharing knowledge and things that work. In photography there seem to be some people who like to keep things to themselves or not share knowledge of certain places (scenery or animals) but then there are some people who go out of their way to help and share their knowledge. I have learnt so much from them and, in turn, passed it on to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just that way in photography. Never ask a picker where they pick....ahaha..."ancient Chinese secret" (maybe you don't know that reference growing up in UK, but it's from a commercial in the 70's about Calgon). I always tell too much anyway, it's in my nature.

      Delete
  4. You are so right, I like to think that I have mentored and encouraged many woman over the years. I have also learnt so much from other woman, particularly through craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about this and then I had a dream about some former 4H kids I feel I had a hand in mentoring. One can be a mentor in all aspects of life - actions speak louder than words. I have taught so many kids how to needle felt over the years and have witnessed some not teaching others. What a blessing.

      Delete