Friday, February 12, 2021

Cultivating a Collection - Mismatched Dishes

 Cultivating a Collection - Mismatched Dishes


I recently saw an article about the new "old world style" of modern homes.  The shelf after shelf of salt & pepper collection at grandma's house is a thing of the past, however a few salt & pepper shakers are not.  

The past several years of farmhouse style is giving way to cottage whimsy.  This hygge, cozy style, really resonates with the minimalistic lifestyle.  To that, the desire for things of the past.  A bit of kitchy, is still in the hearts and memories of even the most minimalist stylist.  I know it to be true, because I have customers like this; 20-30 somethings, that want to set their style and staging apart from their cookie cutter friends. Bless them for it! 

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to add farmhouse or cottage whimsy to your home is with mismatched dishes.  The once highly sought after yellow or pink depression glass of 1980's collector is now a few bucks at the thrift shop.   Don't be a afraid to add these things to your home, if you don't like it, take it back to the thrift shop.  Be an original sylist and designer of your home, curate it with the charm of yesteryear.  

When I first started keeping my home, it was also farmhouse, only cluttered, mine still is, but I like it.  Don't be intimidated by trending styles, add pieces to your home that make you happy or bring back a memory of grandma's house.  Honestly, there is no better time to start a collection.  It's so easy now, even from the comfort of your own home.  

Mix colors and styles of the dishes.  You don't need to know that the white plate is milk glass open lace to see that it could look great with any other pattern of dishes.  I added the little red ribbon to show that you could do that too.  As you add pieces to your collection, you'll get to know the maker names, pattern designs and other trade secrets of collecting.  You will gavitate and educate yourself on what you love.  





I'm doing an inventory "lots drop" tomorrow, February 13 at 9:30 am.  These pieces and more will be listed on the Town Hall Trinkets Online Estate Sales link also in the sidebar.  


So, turn up your indvidualistic style, buy vintage, collect what makes you happy and add some cozy charm.  Just like you remember grandma's salt & pepper colletion, your friends and family will remember you and your style when they come into your curated space - you call home.   

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:  Vintage Charm Party My Thrift Store Addiction

9 comments:

  1. I have a milk glass compote that I place my small scissors in the holes. I have seen younger folks appreciating antiques once again. Good to see. Love the green and white together even though I am still partial to my reds and blues. Hope you have a fantastic Valentine's. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice I agree. When I have a younger customer, I always "school" them on what they are buying and share information - that's how you build a new collector. I have hope that some of the interest will save some of these old things.

      Delete
  2. I have taken a lot of time during this time to weed out what no longer interests me But dishes how I love them. My daughter was always matchy matchy and I find she is looking for things that are different which gives it more warmth.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and it gives me hope that some of these old pieces will be saved.

      Delete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed this post Jacky...you nailed it. I have too many collections (and I so get the "cluttered and liking it thing"), but have always collected what I loved whether it was the "in" thing or not. It has led to some interesting acquisitions LOL.... And my house, well..."curated" is not a term I would say most would use to describe it, but many have said it's "comfortable" and "cozy".... Who needs more?? Sorry I will miss your offerings once again, but we have a wedding... (Brrrr!!) ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. My home has that "curated by a hoarder look" ahahah

      Delete
  4. Hello Jacky,

    Wonderful that you are spearheading the campaign for individual style. It is sad when people feel that they must follow 'trends' like sheep rather than, as you say, just seeking out things that they like and will enjoy living with.

    Our parents had a phrase for all things matching, they called it 'newly married'. So we have tried to avoid the 'newly married' look for forty years, mixing and matching as we go. It is such fun to set a table with a mix of china rather than all of the same design. It adds interest and does create a unique look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like your comment, it does add interest and a unique look. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. I love layering mismatched dishes in my table settings. Your green glassware is lovely! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete