Friday, February 26, 2021

Cultivating a Collection - Baskets

More in Cultivating a Collection - Baskets



Basket weaving is one of the widest spread craft in history of any human civilization and I dare say one of the oldest.  I'm sure while Eve was whippin' up a fig leaf dress, she thought...I could make something to carry my apples in...ahahha.   This is funny, but could be true.  

Baskets are often identified by the culture that made it in material and style.  Some baskets were made for use, ceremony and as art (decoration).  Using what one found in nature, weaving, bending and twisting into a usable shapes:

1.  Coiled Basketry - grasses, rushes, pine needles

2.  Plaiting Basketry - palms, yucca, flax

3.  Twining Basketry - roots, bark

4.  Wicker/Splint Basketry - reed, cane, willow, ash, oak

There are numerous names for baskets too:  market, gathering, bread, bushel, fruit, bonnet, egg, fishing, bannock, grain, hampers, laundry, sewing, funeral, buttock, trappers and this is only to name a few.  Baskets are also identified by the Indigenous, who were masters at making them.  


(from Wisconsin Museum website)

We have Winnebago/HoChunk ones here in my area, as tribal women traded for other goods and sold them.  In fact, Wisconsin Dells, was actually not only "put on the map" for it's natural beauty and rock formations, but also by the artistic basketry from the Winnebago.  I recently read a book about Wisconsin women.  I was delighted to learn that it was these Indigenous and ingenious women who started trading in a "fair" atmosphere.  Now, I always thought my "resale/trading/flea marketing" abilities came from my Grandpa Kincaid - but, could be my Ritchie side too.  My great (Clara) and great, great ("Old Bam") Grandmas who were Potawatomi made baskets.   I can imagine that they sold and traded them too.  

Here is a picture of "Old Bam" which may be intrepted as "Old Bear" according to my brother, but we aren't sure.    However, I like to think it, because I'm a mama bear too.  The next few pictures are of my Ritchie family too.

My Great Grandma Clara as a younger girl.


The couple in the middle are my Great Grandparents, Clara and Henry.  Standing in back of Clara is my Grandpa Valentine, next to him is my Great Uncle Harry.  The little girl between my Great Grandparents is my Aunt Verol and the baby is my Aunt Ruth on my Grandma's (Marie) lap.

My Grandma Ritchie is standing on the far right the first little girl is my Aunt Ruth, then my Aunt Verol and my dad (what a cutie) in front of her.  



In this one, my Aunt Verol is eldest, my dad next to her, my Uncle Wally is the baby and my Aunt Ruth is standing next to my Great Grandpa Henry.  My dad's name is Henry too.


Here is my Great Grandpa Henry splitting wood on a schindelbank for making baskets.  We had 1 basket he made for my dad in our family.  My dad put it out every Easter with his naturally died eggs of onion skins and berries.  When my parents passed on, my eldest brother Henry was given this as the patriarch of our family.  It was/is very special!  

Baskets are timeless.  Used in every decade, era, decorating and design since beginning of time.  2021 is no different.  No farmhouse would be complete without an egg or gathering basket.  No "BoHo" she shed would be complete without a wall vignette of assorted baskets.  No cabin would be complete without a trappers or market basket next to the fireplace.   

Baskets have and will stand the test of time and trend.  So....


"Tisket, Tasket, Wanna Buy a Basket" Sale, tomorrow, February 27, 2021 at 9:30 am.  Link here:  Town Hall Trinkets Online Estate Sale

Do you have any heirloom baskets?  Please comment and let us know.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:  My Thrift Store Addiction -  vintage charm party

17 comments:

  1. Love your short story today!!! I have a love for baskets, too!! Could send the whole neighborhood out on picnics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I appreciate the comment. Well, that sounds fun.

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love baskets!! Lol There is no such thing as owning too many baskets. Have a great weekend, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful family pictures and great history of baskets. I do have some very old native american baskets from Down East Maine.
    My grandparents use to trade with them a lot. they would fix my grandfathers snow shoes and they would pay in vegetables and eggs. My grandmother also also used a lot of their baskets for everyday use.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these baskets were traded too. They came from a small town near me where the previous owner to my client told her that they traded with near by native women too. Produce, milk kind of things we are in dairy country. I like them too!

      Delete
  4. I love baskets, but my favorites are the splint ones. Great family and liked reading your family history. Good luck on your sale. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. My native side has a rich, deep history in our tribal existence, in Crandon, WI and tribal government. My cousins are still very involved in that. My great grandpa Henry Ritchie - was an intrepter for Royal Candian Mounted Police and also, worked for the US BIA (indidan affairs) and his son, my great uncle Harry was Native of the Year one time. My dad grew up on reservation, but moved off to get better jobs.

      Delete
  5. Those are great photos of your family and nice info on the baskets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you. I appreciate your comment. These aren't mine - I won't sell mine. I actually bought 2 from her....eek!

      Delete
  6. A joy to visit and see the old photos and learn a little more about baskets. I do so wish I could visit one of your sales, there are so many things that I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely basket collection! Pinned! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another casualty of my internet disconnect: Missing what must have been an incredible sale. Maybe I should be happy since I seem to be too late to claim anything lately anyways. I really love that one in the upper right of the first photo....although I am sure I would have found many others that I wouldn't have been able to live without too. I am sure it was a great sale and the baskets disappeared quickly. But the happy part of the post is reading and seeing so much of your family history. You are so very fortunate to have all that information and so very many photos to treasure. We have so very few photos of our familial generations....it is sad. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not sure how much to price them...but, most sold. She has a few bushel baskets left. Thanks, I only wish I would have listened more to the history...I do mess stuff up sometimes, in fact I had to edit this post 2 times because family added or pointed out what was wrong...ahahah

      Delete