Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Tips on Tuesday - Planning Meals

Years ago, when we had our girls home, I did a series of posts about cooking.  They are exactly what I want to share today, please go look at them:  A Week of Meals links here:

https://dickybirdsnest.blogspot.com/2014/09/motivation-monday-week-of-one-pot-meals.html

https://dickybirdsnest.blogspot.com/2012/01/week-of-meals-chicken.html

https://dickybirdsnest.blogspot.com/2012/01/week-of-meals-ham.html




Planning meals no matter the size of your family, will save you money and time with a little preparation.  

As a homesteader, we do raise much of what we eat, from protein to produce.  However, if you don't do this, that's o.k.

I've always been passionate about food.  I believe in home cooked meals with simple, whole ingredients.  A falsehood that goes along with cooking from scratch often is "I don't have time." Believe me, cooking this way, saves time!  Not only that, it is healthier!  A day of planning, prepping and cooking will save you time during the week.  

I tend to think of my protein first.  Please click on the links above - the chicken one is a great example!  You would be amazed at how much meat is actually on a whole chicken and what you can do with it.  

Don't over think your planning.  Simple meals are the best.  Yes, I tend to get overly ambitious with some of mine, but the best ones, often times, have the fewest ingredients.   

Have a well stocked pantry.  Basics:  rice, flour, oatmeal, sugar, beans, lentils, honey and spices.  If you happen upon a great deal at the store, stock up.  Sometimes we have a 10 for $10 - 10 cans of tomato juice, even if you can your own, is an awesome staple in any pantry.

Splurge on produce, especially now in winter when we don't have our own.  Go to the winter farmer's market or join a CSA and support your local farmer.   I can't tell you how much I enjoy having even a lemon on hand; slice in a glass of water, zest on top of pasta, juice for baking...a simple lemon can brighten up the bleakest of snowy days!  

Buy a freezer and use it!  Consider purchasing  1/2 a cow or pig from a farmer or as a bundle deal from a local meat plant.  It will be a hit to your wallet at first, but you will save in the long run.  

Also, we enjoy an occasional breakfast for supper.  Soups are inexpensive to make, will last for days and often times taste better the second day.  

I hope you can glean some tips from this post.  Until next time....
Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  





1 comment:

  1. Those tomatoes have me thinking homemade tomato soup!! And chili!!! My mother used to can tomatoes for me, and I am down to one or two jars left...Not sure what I will do when they are gone. I have canned in the past, but it's been so very long that I don't know if I would remember all her tricks. And with just the two of us here (usually just me as my husband tends to be gone a lot), and one of us who doesn't like leftovers (hint - it is NOT me...I think leftovers are often better than the original), we don't cook a great deal anymore. It's sad, because we both really enjoy cooking and you just can't beat homemade. Maybe we will have to plan a canning day together and you can "refresh" my memory LOL! Hope you're ready for another dumping of white stuff!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete