Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Processing Pumpkins 101

My niece called me and asked "how do you process a pumpkin?"  There are several ways to do that, this is how I processed them into pumpkin puree for my freezer. 

I was given several small "pie" pumpkins (thanks Carolyn).   




Break off the steams (I'm not tossing them, as I saw a cute idea on Pinterest....I know TexWisGirl...I can't throw anything away...lol), cut them in half, scoop out the seeds.  Save the seeds - you can bake for a healthy snack.

I filled each shell with water, layered them in a pan and bake at 250 degrees till fork tender.   




I put them in the oven and left them while I worked outside.  Leave them on counter until cool enough to handle.



Pour out excess liquid.  The shells are super soft, turn inside out and use your thumb and fingers to "squeegee" the pulp off the peel.  I did get some peels into the Ninja - but, that's o.k. too, the Ninja can handle it.  




Pour into freezer bags.  I put 4 cups per bag, enough to make 2 pies.  




Nothing went to waste; I washed off the seeds, that left pulp and I had the peelings - my chickens loved it.

I also baked the pumpkin seeds - yummy!



Now, this type of "work" isn't for everyone...you can buy a can of pumpkin for your pies.  I love doing things like this, so for me it is a labor of love.   

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

Linked to:  http://www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com/2015/10/our-simple-homestead-blog-hop-22_22.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ClearwaterFarmJournal+%28Clearwater+Farm+Journal%29

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jacky! What a great way to 'process' your pumpkins! I would try this recipe if I had that many pumpkins. I just processed my candy roasters in the Sun Oven. They came out so tender, all I had to do was mash them with a potato masher, after peeling and getting out the seeds! My family doesn't enjoy pumpkin as much as I do so I have to get creative with the puree. I am going to use some in a soup. I hope they won't notice! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'll have to try that in my ninja!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post on processing pumpkins! Thanks for sharing on Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop, look forward to seeing you again next week!
    - Nancy - Nancy On The Home Front

    ReplyDelete