Wednesday, December 11, 2013

God's Word Wednesday

I ran into Dime & Dollar thrift store the other day.   They had all Christmas stock 50% off.  I found a few things, including this book; it was only 0.02.  




I thought, these are all short stories - I could use a little Christmas Spirit - so, I bought it.  Little did I know how much I would like the first story.  "The Story of the Other Wise Man", by:  Henry Van Dyke.  I never heard of this story.  I truly enjoyed it.  I feel that I was meant to find it.  

This story is about another wise man, who sold all that he had for 3 treasures:  a sapphire, ruby and pearl to give to the King.  His plan was to meet up with 3 other wise men in search of the King.  On his journey he faced 3 challenges that lead him to give up these 3 treasures to save another.  I don't want to give it away for those who may not have read it.  Trust me, it is a good story with a great message.  

What I took from this, why I felt it was meant for me, has a lot to do with the passing of my mom.  She was in need of our care for 11 years.  I feel bad about it, but during those years, at times I was mad at my brother (the missionary).  In my mind....he was in an island paradise while I was stuck here making tough decisions about our mom's care.  I know, I'm terrible, but honestly, this is how I felt.  Brace yourself for more honesty....I even might have said "sure, he is down there doing God's work, adding more jewels to his heavenly crown...and I am stuck here..."  I know I'm terrible.

The message behind this story is that even though this other wise man used his treasures to help others, spent years searching for the King, using his talents along the way to do things for others....his message was....that in doing this, he found the King.  Matthew 25: 40 "...verily I say unto thee, Inasmuch as thou hast done it unto the least of these my brethren, thou hast done it unto me."

So, I'm thankful I found this little book, read this short story and found a message for me.   My brother is doing this as well.  Had he not left his life here to do God's work there, these "least of these" might not have heard about Jesus.  I guess, I too was doing this here.  I believe that someone bound to a wheelchair needing daily cares would be a "least of these."

So, I am renewed today in God's word, as this story revealed to me, not only my attitude toward my brother, but the blessing that comes from helping others.  Forgive me as I grow and change.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

Linked to:
http://www.raisingmightyarrows.net/2013/12/proverbs-31-thursdays-link-3.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:

1 comment:

  1. Jacky, I just wrote a comment but it didn't show for some reason. Sorry if this is a duplicate! You are changing and growing in ways that make our Father glad! I am so thankful for your boldness to speak the Truth! The thoughts and feelings you had were human! It's up to us to allow God to reveal the attitude He wants us to have. You have done that, Jacky! I am so glad to know you and am honored to read your blog! I feel we are 'soul sisters', and if we never see each other on this side, I can hardly wait to see you 'over there'! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete