Saturday, March 9, 2013

Beef Barley Vegetable Soup - In Crock Pot/Homemade Stock


Beef Barley Vegetable Soup in Crock Pot
Homemade Beef Stock in Crock Pot

In my previous post, I made root beer beef strips in the crock pot.  Read about it here:  http://dickybirdsnest.blogspot.com/2013/03/root-beer-beef-strips-in-crock-pot.html



I cut the meat off the bone and reserved these pieces to make a rich beef stock - while I was sleeping.  

Put the meat and bone in crock pot.  Add veggies - look in your refrigerator and see what you have that is getting older that would add flavor to your stock.  Don't throw out floppy celery, yellowing parsly, 1/2 can of tomato sauce - throw that in too. It doesn't matter you aren't eating those anyway.  They will serve their purpose and you can toss them - me I give them to my chickens.  



You can add herbs and spices now - whatever you like. Fill with water.  Do all of this just before you go to bed and cook on low all night long.

When you wake up, strain the veggies and meat from the stock.  Put this in a container in your refrigerator and let it cool down so you can peel the fat off the top.  Don't throw that meat away either - add it to your soup.

That is it - so simple you can do it in your sleep.  :)

Now on to what I did with the stock.  Beef Barley Vegetable Soup.



When you get ready to use the stock - just break off the fat at the top - throw it away.

I already had some cooked barley - when I make barley - I double it.  Pour your stock in the crock pot and add the veggies you like.    I did 2 C cooked barley, 1 C frozen corn, 1 C frozen green beans, 1 C frozen peas, 1 C grated carrots, 1 C chopped celery, 1 onion chopped, parsley and the reserved meat diced up.






I put in a jar of my home canned tomatoes, sprigs of fresh rosemary, salt and pepper.  This filled my crock pot, however if you have room you could also add some water.  I cooked on low all day.  



I love beef barley soup!  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/03/homestead-barn-hop-102.html

1 comment: