Thursday, January 31, 2019

Week 46 - Dicky Bird's '3 Sisters' Cookie


I made these up in honor of my heritage.  My mom and dad are in picture above.  My dad, a Native American, Potawatomi, was an avid gardener.  He always grew his corn, beans and pumpkin/squash in the 3 Sister's method of companion planting, which I can assume was passed down to him.  I do this same thing.  My mom was an avid cook and baker.  She could turn any old "commodity" (which the federal government provided to Native Americans) into an amazing meal.  I feel these cookies best exemplify what I gleaned from each!  

I was unsure of the bean part of the cookie but, I have to tell you, I'm doing this again!  You could use any bean puree, I'm sure.  I used what I had, mind you these were not the flavored refried beans.   

Dicky Bird's 3 Sisters Cookie

1 C - bean puree (I used refried)
1/2 stick of soft butter
1 C brown sugar (I used dark)
cream together, then add


1 C pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 t. pumpkin pie spice
blend well.  Add
1 C corn meal
2 C flour

Beat all together.  Make balls, roll into brown sugar and place on a prepared pan.  Use a fork to criss/cross pattern in the cookie.  Bake 350 for 10-12 min. make about 3 doz.







I've been working on this cookbook idea for years.  "52 Weeks of Cookies with Dicky Bird's Nest" and I am on Week 46.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea for a book. Follow your dreams and do it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well there you have it...had I read this post first like I was supposed to, I would have known that you are part Native American. How cool is that?! And I actually know about the 3 Sisters’ method!! The cookies actually sound enticing.... And I was wondering about the “Day” stuff....so many answers in 1 post LOL.... Hope you’re staying warm.... Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete