Monday, January 28, 2019

Motivational Monday - Overcoming

Overcoming:  (verb) succeed in dealing with (problem or difficulty).

James 1:2-4:  Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.



Groundhog Day the movie, with Billy Murry, comes to my mind today.  The "repeat pattern" is more what I'm talking about.  How he had to live out the same day, over and over, until he made that day better.  His change in attitude and actions were instrumental in his overcoming.  

Have you ever felt like some of life's lessons were on a repeat pattern for you?  You know, like maybe after several times of this same "problem or difficulty" finding you, you are working on a James 1 lesson for your life.  

I just experienced my "overcoming" and understand that it was a James 1 lesson.  Truth!  I don't need to go into the details, but I can tell you that when this situation was presented to me, I intuitively knew it was going to turn out like it did.  Trust me, life presented this "problem or difficulty" to me many times over the past 30 years - my Groundhog Day.   I just knew, "this" was going to turn out the way it did.  However, I was prepared for the "repeat pattern" and I was setting the stage.   I was already at peace with it and knew it was ME who needed to overcome.  

Yep, me, Did Dicky Bird...not the situation, not the person(s), not the (_____) fill in the blank.  I need to overcome and no one can do it for me.  I actually, can "count it all joy," as Jesus loves me enough to keep working on me, testing my faith.  I don't want to be found lacking in His will for me.  I needed to change my attitude and actions.  

As it was a situation my daughter's were aware of and they both know my struggle, I shared with them that I am not mad, hurt yes, but I'm at peace with "it" because "it" isn't eternal.  What is eternal is my response, my actions.  In the overall scheme of His will in my life - "it" doesn't matter.  

I share this little story with you today in hopes of motivating you to look at your Groundhog Day situation for what it is.  How can you change your attitude and actions so that you can overcome it.  I'm one tough old Dicky Bird and hold no special talents in overcoming!  It is hard, but if I can do it, you can too!   I now am looking for my other James 1 lessons...good Lord knows I have them!   I actually look at this lesson as one of my RECLAIM moments.   Check!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  




3 comments:

  1. Certainly a post that has made me think. Food for thought I think the phrase is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Provocative post Dicky Bird.... I have lots of those “repeat” moments, and I am slowly learning that you are exactly correct. “It” isn’t going to go away or stop happening...it’s me that needs to change my response. Sometimes I feel that, perhaps, our lives are actually repeats until we “get it right.” That’s why I somewhat do believe in reincarnation....Perhaps God recycles souls and sends them back until they figure it out.... Maybe why some people seem to be such “old” souls. Happy Monday...Stay cozy and warm in the next few days.....BRRRR! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad always told me for every action, there is a reaction. Loved your post today as always. Janice

    ReplyDelete