Friday, September 2, 2016

5 on Friday is Back!

Week:  8/28 - 9/3/16

My week in 5 on Friday "diary" form:

I went up to Carter, WI (near the reservation my dad grew up on) to a pow-wow with Josh and Justine.  I had a hard time holding back the tears when I heard the singing and drumming.  

Popplewood 4-H Summer Fun Activity - "Popplewood Olympics" we had almost every family attend.  We have a young group of kids and siblings, it was nice to see the older kids "playing" along!  Thanks Monica and Tristin for planning the event.

I am the "crazy chicken lady" - I have so so so many chicks...I don't know what I was thinking letting all those hens set!  Last night in church, someone commented on the egg salad I made.."do you have any eggs for sale?"  I said..."well, not really, I do have lots of chicks for sale!"  Al quickly said..."those chicks are her babies" - he is right.  I love baby animals!  This may be residual effects of our empty nest!

While cleaning out some boxes from an old estate I bought out, I found these feathers.  I reconnected with heritage from attending the pow-wow I guess.  I am 1/4 Potawatomi.

From that same estate stuff, I found this framed sampler.  I brought it in the house, took a picture of it to sell it, but Al saw it and liked it, so I guess now we are keeping it.  Being content is a blessing!  

I hope you find contentment in your home and life this next week. 

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:

http://lovemademyhome.blogspot.com/2016/09/five-on-friday.html


8 comments:

  1. So enjoyed connecting with your adventures this week. I love Five on Friday and am so glad it's back. The feathers in the hair tickled me. I use to grind acorns in rock mortars and pestles we found in the creek and also strung them on tread to wear. My grandfather was half native American and I always wanted to look like him while he cherished my white-blond hair and called me Blondie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your blog, I'm Native American too, I have tribal card for the Cherokee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to a Pow-Wow, but once I attended a celebration of Native American dances which was given in Arizona. The Native Americans were only Americans - people who didn't want the dances to become extinct. Each dance came from a different tribe, and they vary the show from year to year. I don't know if they still do this, but it was very enjoyable. I applaud the tribes who are still celebrating their heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading and seeing your Five. The Pow Wow was a delight to see. I am just going over to your other blog to have a read as they sound of Ringle Harvest Day sounds really interesting! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful moments from your week! I love the embroidery, I hope it brings contentment to your home! Thank you for joining in, have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to know so much about your Indian heritage. So sweet having all those chicks around! I want hens only so I'm not tempted...but also I don't want people complaining about a rooster crowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connecting with one's heritage is important, and how great that you could attend the pow wow. The embroidery holds a great message - contentment brings fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great saying in the sampler. Love that. Einderful to connect back to ones heritage too

    ReplyDelete