Thursday, September 22, 2016

Applesause 101

I'm writing this blog post as I enjoy a breakfast of my applesauce and toast.  Yum.  



I tried the "my story" feature on Instagram yesterday to do a few short videos during the day on making applesauce.  I messed up and forgot to post one in the middle.  I guess you need to press the check mark to post it.  So here is the blog post about Applesauce 101.

First step - pick the apples.  We have several apple trees on the edge of our woods.  I don't know what variety they are, but they are good.  We do not spray for any bugs, so some are ugly on the outside - but not on the inside.  I had to stand on the 4 wheeler to reach them.









Wash them off.  Cut out the core and any "bad" spots.  You need to cook your apples down, so make some apple juice with some of these.  Put in a kettle on warm.






I did a 1-4 ratio.  6 cups of juice to 24 cups of diced apples.  I left the skins on.  




These apples were so sweet, I didn't add any sugar.  I did add 1 tablespoon of salt for this whole batch.  Once they are soft, blend this up in the food processor.  



Sterilize your jars and lids in hot water.



It's at this point the pictures were lost to the video.  Anyway, from this point, you fill your jars to 1/4'' from the top.  Make sure you wipe down the rim of the jar before you put on the lid and ring.  I pressure can, so I processed at 10# for 10 minutes.  

I gave the pigs the cores and such...they loved it!



I made 2 batches yesterday.  One I added cranberries.  That batch I did put in 1/3 C sugar - still tart and very good.  




I had to take a picture with the antique baby dish.  

Making applesauce takes time, but is very easy.  You will be happy you did in the winter when you want a dish or even for baking.  Nothing beats homemade!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:  http://www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com/2016/09/simple-homestead-blog-hop-70.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ClearwaterFarmJournal+%28Clearwater+Farm+Journal%29

2 comments:

  1. ohhhh...your applesauce looks so good! We used to eat a lot more of it than we do now...Hmmmm...I think that has to change....but I don't think I'll be making my own. Yikes...these days I'm lucky to get a meal made every now and then. ;o) Happy Fall my friend! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy Yummy Yummy. I need to make some applesauce myself..tis apple season. Janice

    ReplyDelete