Monday, September 26, 2016

Gathering Time


It's gathering time.  I can't help but think of the Little House on the Prairie books at this time of the year.  All the storage and keeping of food one had to do in those days.  Just putting away enough food for the livestock would have been a chore.  

My mom did lots of canning and keeping for our family.  She was always planning on "what if it is cold and we don't have anything to eat."  My poor mother was born in the depression, grew up during WWII and I know was cold and hungry at times in her life.  She wanted to make sure we never were and we weren't; far from it.  (smile - we are all overweight).

So, either by her example or some genetic "nesting" code, but I too scamper around the farm finding things in garden or nature that we might "need" in the winter.  

Last night, Al and I rode the 4-wheeler out to the edge of the woods to pick some more apples.  On the way back to the house, the sun was hitting the trees in just the perfect way.  My heart was full.  I said to Al, "I'm almost afraid to say this, but everything sure is going good for us now."  We have something we call the "luck o' the Luetschwager" it's actually not good luck, but bad luck.  Sometimes, it seems when things are going "good" - something bad usually happens to us.   "I don't even want to think it" I said.

"I've sure loved living here all these years!  We have been and are blessed!" I said.   He said "I know it, we sure had some good times here."  

It had me thinking about life, this post actually.  It is a gathering time...a gathering of memories and blessings.  Blessings that come in the form of sunshine and rain.   This old "luck o' the Luetschwager" has taught us a thing or two...we are blessed no matter what as long as we put our faith and trust in Jesus.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin

Linked to:  http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-art-of-home-making-mondays-please_26.html

3 comments:

  1. I hope that good things and blessings keep coming your way! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope all good days ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! I enjoyed reading this very much! :)

    ReplyDelete