Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Persuasion

We have been working with a lovely elderly couple, helping them downsize, getting ready for an "upscale tag sale."

If anyone understands how hard it is to part with "treasures" - it's me!  If anyone understands how to get someone to part with their "treasures" - it's also me.  (Just not my own...lol, but I'm getting better at it).

While working, pulling out boxes of forgotten items, it was apparent that the desire to keep overshadowed the desire to sell.  I went through this with my mom as well.  I know from personal experience and have learned a thing or two about how to handle this.  It is best, to let your loved one look at, touch, relish in the memory of each item - truly it is!  Let them tell you the story behind it.  Let them make the decision to let it go - don't make them.  This is where the gift of persuasion comes in play.  Oh, I have my ways....(smile).

After working the first day, Jackie and Lisa mentioned that I was helpful in this area and actually good at it.  I jokingly said..."that's because I come from a long line of preachers and politicians."  To which Lisa added...."and pack rats!"  True! 

Here is his match book collection

it was in a box of his childhood treasures.  I squealed when I opened it.   "What a find, these are awesome!" I said.   After a bit of reminiscing and my persuading (I showed him the sold prices on Ebay) he was able to let them go.  Every decision to part with came with a round of clapping applause from the 3 of us.."good job!"  I did this for my mom as well, praising her decision.  This motivated her to sell.  As it did for this couple.  

According to Zig Ziglar, persuasion is:  the process of changing or reforming attitudes, believes, opinions or behavior toward a predetermined outcome through voluntary compliance.  He also says, "the most important persuasion tool you have in your entire arsenal is integrity."   As a motivational speaker, his methods of persuasion where used in sales - however, I was selling the "idea" of why you would want to sell or part with your "treasures."  

Empathy, honesty are also keys to my success.  I recently had an elderly vendor call about setting up at the Ringle Harvest Day.  I had to repeat, repeat and repeat what I was saying...Al said, "how were you able to be so patient?!?"  I said "I just thought, how would I want someone to speak to my mother and it helped."

Here's to persuasion - inherent, learned or gift.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Our business,  https://www.facebook.com/EstatelyYoursCW/ 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment