Thursday, August 25, 2016

"New Day With No Mistakes In It Yet"

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the current state of affairs in America overwhelming.  The political fighting, police shootings, rioting and yes even Pokemon Go.  What is going on?   I just had to "turn it off" so to speak.  

For my birthday, Al bought me (us) a Bose radio.  I love it.  I have been listening to Internet radio.  I really like the 1940's radio station from the UK.  Old Glenn Miller, Lennon Sisters, Dinah Shore, old news reports, updates from the "home front," radio stories, even the corny commercials - all are so refreshing!  

I also decided to turn off the news....I've been reading.   I went upstairs, looked on the bookshelf and grabbed myself a "children's" classics.  Desperaux, The White Stag and now I'm reading Anne of Green Gables.  I had to laugh at this passage.  If you are familiar with this series, this is where Anne made the new pastor and his wife a cake.  The cake was accidentally flavored with anodyne liniment instead of vanilla.

"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"   

"I'll warrant you'll make plenty in it,"  said Marilla.  "I never saw your beat for making mistakes, Anne."

"Yes, and well I know it," admitted Anne mournfully.  "But have you ever noticed one encouraging thing about me, Marilla?  I never make the same mistake twice."

"I don't know as that's much benefit when you're always making new ones."  

"Oh, don't you see, Marilla?  There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them.  That's a very comforting thought."  




Oh how I laughed.  I have been thinking of this for several days.  Mindfully working up a blog post about it.

"A new day with no mistakes in it yet."  Our gift, each morning.  Oh, we will have to live with yesterday's mistakes, but somehow, for me, knowing it's a new day helps me to cope.  As a Christian, I also know that when I laid my head down the night before, I asked for forgiveness for all my mishaps, short comings and sin.  My faith in His grace - His loving kindness - His mercy is HOW I can wake each morning feeling that way.  

Like Anne, I have always had (have) a "knack" for making mistakes.  I've had some big ideals and dreams.  I pretty much acted or attempted most of them.  Not all successfully, but I have never let failure discourage me and if you think about it, that is a success.

If there were a limit to the number of mistakes one could make, I would have met that long ago I'm sure.  Thankfully, I have the drive to keep moving on, mistakes and all.  

I hope this little post helps to remind you that each day is "new with no mistakes yet." Hey, even when you do make one, learn from it and move on.  Tomorrow is just waiting for us to mess it up!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:

http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-art-of-home-making-mondays-please_22.html






5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Jacky! I needed this! Each day is a blessing, and I'm so glad to be in good health to enjoy it! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to look at each day remembering that it is new too ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone makes mistakes and the trick is to not beat yourself up and move on. I love Anne of Green Gables. Take care. Hug B

    ReplyDelete