Monday, January 13, 2014

Motivation Monday - Finding Your Identity

I recently heard a speaker talk about identity.  Today, when we hear identity, we might think of identity theft or identity crisis.  Both of which contributed to what this speaker had to say, but he added "finding your identity."  I have been thinking about the theme of his speech and how I could apply this to a blog post to share with you.

Have you ever seen a huge bird flying overhead and think, that must be an eagle.    




What sets the bald eagle apart, is the white head.  That is his identity.  Without a doubt, that bird flying overhead is a bald eagle.  




I have many birds at my feeder that are regulars, I see them and I know what species they are.  Once in a while, a bird will visit and I'm not sure what it is.  So, I get out my bird book and look at the markings.  Is it a blue bird or a blue bunting?




We don't have too many dangerous snakes in Marathon County, Wisconsin, but most children learn this:

"Red against yellow can kill a fellow"  or "Red touching black safe for Jack"  




The markings on the snake identify him as a friend or foe.

At one time, I was a receptionist for a law office.  One of the attorneys came up to me and said..."my client is coming in, he looks 'scary' but he is a teddy bear."  Sure enough, this mountain of a man came in, leather Harley Davidson vest, fuzzy face, tattooed and pierced....yes, I guess he did look intimidating.  I'm glad she warned me.  However, over the many visits to the office, I soon found out what a tender hearted person he was.  He told me one day; "I'm late because I stopped in Mosinee, there were some kids with a kool-aid stand - I had to turn my bike around a buy some."  I'm sure those kids might have been a little scared to have a huge man on a huge Harley stop at their stand.  He told me he gave them a larger bill and told them to keep the change.  

I guess, you can figure out where I am going with this.  We might be born into a family that has an identity.  Be a member of a group or club that has an identity.  Stand on principals or morals that set us apart as an identity.   We are fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, daughters, sons, doctor, lawyer, butcher, sailor, homemaker, baker - whatever - all of those roles, when given as a title identify us.  Irregardless of what it is, we all have an identity.  

The past 2 months have been ones of change for me.  My role as a caretaker for my Mom have ended.  My role as mother and now mother-in-law have changed.  I guess, one would think that I might have an identity crisis.   I guess, I could have one - if I chose to.

I think for me, I know who I am, what I believe in and what principals guide my actions.  My hope is, that the core of my identity, the driving force - would be biblical principals and the love of Christ.  

Maybe, you are facing an identity crisis or want to change how others view you - work at it.  But, do so because you want to.  I have been trying to improve myself as well.   Represent yourself and identify with the things you believe in, but don't forget under that beard and tattoo might be a "safe for Jack."  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

Linked to:
http://timewarpwife.com/?p=1631

http://www.growinghomeblog.com/2014/01/teach-me-tuesday-homemaking-link-up-129.html

5 comments:

  1. loved 'meeting' the harley guy through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacky! Such a great post! I never really thought about my identity. Hopefully, someone will identify me as a Jesus lover! That is my goal! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have the most thought provoking posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Excellent! I love the biker story- never heard that one. :)

    ReplyDelete