Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I Can’t Waste Them–Overgrown Cukes

So, I haven’t checked on the cucumber plants in awhile – wow how did I miss all of those cucumbers.   I can’t let them go to waste, so I decided to try and can something with them.  I made one batch (7qts) of a cucumber salsa – at least that is what I’m calling it.  I want to use it  fish or lamb.   I also had 2 cabbages to use so I added them to the next batch and made a kraut slaw mix – I hope it will taste good on baked potatoes or on top of a salad.   Here is what I made today: 
100_0631
huge cukes….wash and peel, make sure to save this for your chickens!
100_0632
slice in half and scoop out seeds
100_0633
Then I sliced them on my Christmas present – a Kitchen Aid slicer.
100_0634
Dice them…I also added onions and peppers
100_0635
100_0636
lightly salt them, cold pack in jars and add a brine (I made mine with sugar, water, white wine vinegar, celery seeds, garlic and onion powder, parsley, tumeric and whatever else looked like a brine herb) pour brine in jars to 1/4” put lid and rim on and give a hot water bath for 5 min. to seal.  I sure hope they taste o.k. 
100_0637
Till later, God willing.  Blessings from Wisconsin!

Linked to: 
Farmchicks Farm Photo Friday

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Well, they look wonderful... I think they will taste delicious.. Hope you wrote the recipe down in case it is a keeper.. grin.. I always forget..
    Take care, dear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The relish looks as good as it sounds! I wished I lived close to you so we could share our bounty! I also would love to look through your estate sale "stuff"! I changed the name of my blog to: simplypractical.blogspot.com in case your not getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing...have never heard of that before. I will be bookmarking this recipe for future reference.

    Thanks for posting.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete