Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Soup & Salad Supper

Everything I know about cooking and baking comes from watching my mom.  I LOVE corn chowder.  Al doesn't.  So I don't make it often.  Here is my recipe.  This is super easy and fast!

Corn Chowder:

Bring 3C water, 3Tbs. butter and 1 tsp. salt to simmer on medium high.  Add 5 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed, cook until fork tender.  Add 4C of  corn (I use my own freezer corn), 5-6 ribs of chopped celery, 2C milk and parsley.  Slowly cook - not a rolling boil....makes stuff too mushy.

In a fry pan, brown diced bacon (1 lb.) - DRAIN fat to pan add 1 small chopped onion, 4 cloves minced garlic, cook till transparent with bacon - drain off any additional fat....dump all in soup kettle, S&P to taste.

I LOVE making salads and experimenting with different combinations of flavors:  This one is a pecan, bacon, garlic, onion, carrot and craisin salad....

TIP:  from my mom:  cut a clove of garlic in half
        *rub inside of bowl with halves* then mince
          garlic and add to chopped lettuce.
       
This small step really adds flavor to your salad, especially if you use a wooden bowl.

I used romaine lettuce and a vegetable peeler to make carrot strips.  The salty bacon, the sweet craisins, spicy garlic, onions and crunchy pecans really make this a delicious salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment