Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Making Mistakes

I noticed that my brother Frank (blog:  Franklyspeaking) had an interesting quote from Benjamin Franklin.  I love quotes, especially from Abe Lincoln.  Benjamin Franklin, morally, might not have been a good role model, however, he did say some interesting things.  This one is one of my favorites:
"The man who does things makes many mistakes, but he never makes the biggest mistake of all - doing nothing"  Pretty smart, hey...anyway, anyone who knows me, knows that I am quick to react and make fast decisions.  This has lead to many mistakes.  However, I don't regret a one of them, because each one helped me to learn a valuable lesson on becoming a better person.  Do I still react quickly....YES, am I still passionate about things...YES, do I still lean toward the "crazy" side sometimes....YES...so I guess I will still make mistakes.

As a mother, I think it is important to let children make mistakes.  Don't get me wrong,  I am a VERY protective - mama bear crazy protective - but, if an action isn't a SIN or going to physically harm them, you gotta let them make mistakes.  Especially now that my girls are becoming young adults.  If you don't study, you will fail.  Getting an F on an assignment isn't the end of the world...it  is O.K. as long as they learned from it.  Understand that they are growing up and letting them "fail" is a part of helping them become productive adults.  Also, parents need to  remember what it was like at their age.  It really upsets me to hear other mothers talking about how their kids will never do this or that....I bet they did this or that.....at their age.....  

No comments:

Post a Comment