Friday, June 1, 2018

Easy Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

My friend, Renee and I, happened upon this little restaurant on one of our junking trips.  I don't even remember exactly where it was - but, I do remember exactly what we ordered - cream of mushroom soup.  It was the BEST we both had ever eaten - so good!  That was a few months back.  The other day, I actually sent her a text that said, "this is random, but I dream about and crave that cream of mushroom soup" she replied "me too!"  

So, while visiting Anna and Jon this past weekend, we went to the Waukesha Farmer's Market.  As soon as I saw the table full of mushrooms I knew I was going to try to copy it.   I have never made cream of mushroom soup from scratch before, but this is what I came up with.


I bought oyster, shiitake and crimini mushrooms.  I talked with the vendor, these were grown locally in what she called "caves" (dark cool roooms).  

1 small sweet onion, diced add to a pan with 2 T melted butter and cook until soft.

I just diced up mushrooms, I didn't measure - use as much as you would like in your soup - remember they shrink while cooking.  Saute with the onions.

Add:  salt and pepper, 1 t or so garlic powder and thyme.  I also added some dried flat leaf parsley from my friend's herb farm - Ewe & Herb, LLC. https://www.facebook.com/Ewe-Herb-LLC-1702720866422534/ Cook until tender.  



Add 1/4 C flour to the pan, coating the mushrooms.



Let that cook a minute or two to brown the flour a bit.  Add 2 C liquid (water, vegetable or chicken stock) along with another tablespoon (or two) of butter.  Let that start to bubble up and add 1 C heavy cream.




Let that thicken up and simmer for 10 minutes.  Take out about 1/2 of the soup and put in your blender, pour that back into the soup.  







If the soup is too thick add some additional water or stock.  I had a bowl of soup and also baked chicken breasts in some to serve over rice.  It was so good!  Al even liked it (wink, wink).





It's really easy to make.  I hope you give it a try.  I see cream of asparagus in my future as well.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment