Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Pioneer Woman - Lodge and Mercantile Visit

On our "let's buy a car in Vegas and drive it home" trip...my "alright let's do it" to this idea was..."then I get to go to the Pioneer Woman's Mercantile."  That is how it went...so, we did.  On our way to Pawhuska, we saw this...


however, this is not to their ranch....but, little known fact....the Drummond Family has owned land here for over 150 years.  They are the 17th largest private land owner in the United States!  Now, I won't get into all the politics about that...as I am Native American...and honestly, I was thinking...I wonder if the Osage Nation "likes" them.  You know, the government took away the land from the Osage - not the Drummonds.  American Dream people...it's always at the cost of someone...hey, I wasn't going to get political!  I LOVE my country, it's just the government I could do without!  Anyway, I like the Pioneer Woman - I don't know Ree...but, her neighbors did nothing but sing her praises while we walked around this little town.  If you go, please do this...the other shops are waiting for business as well!

I follow along on Instagram and knew that the day we were there, the lodge was going to be open for tours.  So, we started at the Mercantile where I asked the woman at the door about the tours...she reached under a basket...like it was some kind of a secret...and handed me the directions and map.  So, off we went to the lodge.  

When she says she lives in the middle of no where, she means it.  The road/driveway to the lodge was a couple miles???  We did see the wild horses on the way



It was just like on the show...here we go....



Al said he saw their truck - from the show - with her boys in it...they stopped and took some pictures of the people at the lodge...I didn't see it, because I was busy doing this....



What a good "farm dog" greeting everyone that came up to the lodge.  Anyway, on to the inside....


....o.k....so, while I was setting this up for a picture...a group of ladies were watching me...so I said, "hey, when are you ever going to get to look like you are cooking at her stove?"  So, as soon as I was done....they all did it too...funny...why didn't they think of it???  









It was pretty cool!  We did go back to the Mercantile to do some shopping and eating.  Al saved our spot in line, we did wait for over an hour, but the food was amazing!  


We went upstairs to the bakery to buy some sweets, those were amazing as well.  On the way down the steps, guess who I see, shopping?  If you watch the show, you know Ree has a "little sister" - Betsy...she was looking at some shirts with her son, Elliot and their mother...so, you all know me... "Hey, are you Ree's sister?"  So, I proceed to tell her our little " we bought a car in Vegas driving home story..."  No one else recognized her...well, maybe they did, but didn't bother her....LOL  I did tell her how blessed her sister was and that when we drove to the lodge, all I could think of was..."my father owns the cattle on a thousand hills" Ps. 50:10 (my interpretation).  She was very nice too and asked if I was a Badger Fan...I didn't know why..oh ya, the sweatshirt...she is a Big 10 fan as well, she went to college in Indiana? or was it Ohio?   Anyway, it was neat experience - for me...lol






Ree was going to have a cookbook signing the next day!  Oh, how I wanted to stay, but they said that they expected 20,000 people - yikes - nope, I can't do that!  We live in the "middle of now where...LOL" too - Al no way was up for that crowd!  

If you are thinking of a road trip to Pawhuska, OK - I highly recommend it.  If you are a fan of the show, try to plan it when the lodge is having tours - it's posted on their website and Instagram.  

Thank you, Pioneer Woman, for the inspiration!  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

1 comment:

  1. I like watching Ree and follow her as well. I knew she did not live where she films, and also knew her husbands family owned lot of land. It really is a ranch. So glad you were able to visit. Janice

    ReplyDelete