Saturday, November 25, 2017

Butternut Squash, Light Whole Wheat, Honey Bread

I rarely attempt to make bread - it intimidates me.  The science and math in creating a perfect loaf - it seems too hard.  However, today I thought - I'm doing it!  Baking is also something I enjoy, it's my therapy.  

We had the sweetest, smallest butternut squash this year.  I made whipped butternut squash for Thanksgiving.  I had some left overs so here goes:

Butternut Squash, Light Whole Wheat, Honey Bread

2 packs of dry yeast
1/2 C warm water - 110-115 degrees  
dissolve yeast in water and let stand 5 minutes




1 1/4 C mashed, cooked butternut squash
1 C warm milk - 110-115 degrees 
2 beaten eggs 
1/3 C melted butter
1/3 C honey - I also made some with Molasses 
1 t salt
mix all together with dough hook, add the yeast and then

3 C whole wheat flour
4-5 C all purpose flour
when the dough begins to pull away from the bowl on the hook, it is ready - will be sticky









Knead several times, place in a large greased bowl and roll around so the top of dough is greased. Let rise 1 - 1 1/2 hours until doubled.  Grab dough and divide in thirds and shape into a ball, place on greased pans, drizzle some olive oil on top and sprinkle with seeds - I used flax.  Let rise again - maybe an hour.  Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes until tops are golden.  Remove and let cool.  



I also made 2 loaves of light whole wheat potato bread




So, it wasn't that hard, I enjoyed some "mindless" baking and the fruits of my labor.  Seriously, nothing better than fresh homemade bread!  Turkey and rice soup and we were stuffed - again.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

Linked to:  http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/2017/11/foodie-friday-and-everything-else_23.html


1 comment: