Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A Masterminds Group

I joined a group on Facebook and actually attended a luncheon with a guest speaker, Sherman On (https://www.youtube.com/user/shermanon1).  He spoke about:  The Social on Social (social media information).  
The Group is called Wausau Mastermind Group.  Here is a great definition of what a Mastermind group is, found here:  

In a Mastermind (also known as a peer advisory board), the agenda belongs to the group, and each person’s participation is key. Your peers give you feedback, help you brainstorm new possibilities, and set up accountability structures that keep you focused and on track. You will create a community of supportive colleagues who will brainstorm together to move the group to new heights. 
You'll gain tremendous insights, which can improve your business and personal life. Your Mastermind Group is like having a objective board of directors.  


I met some new people, started following a few on Instagram and YouTube.  I even signed up to take an on-line class from one group member who wrote a book.  It was just what I was looking for to help me transition into a new direction and year.  I can't wait to start.  I just looked at an email from her - I have homework already...oh my...I will devote a blog post or two just to her book.
I didn't know what to expect, I didn't know anyone and I was probably the oldest person there - which isn't a bad thing - as you are never too old to learn something new.  The table was full of different people in their own stage of management or self employment.  Each seeking a greater knowledge to lead themselves upward - achieving individual goals.  
I'm a positive person and I need to surround myself with like minded individuals.  Sometimes, well a lot of the times, in my line of business you can see competitiveness rear it's ugly head.  I'm sure it's that way in other lines of business too.   If you think about it - we are all selling something.  
I wanted to share with my blogging friends an interesting comment Sherman said that confirmed almost word for word something one of my friends said to me.  You know, when you are on social media, write a blog, have a business Facebook page - whatever - it's hard NOT to get caught up in the numbers.  "I mean, really? I've been doing 'this' for years and I only have (fill in the blank) followers?!"  It's only a number...really...it doesn't define you...(Weight Watcher advice here...lol).  
I was at one of my events and someone said, "I have 3,500 followers, I'll share your page."  Later, I told my friend Renee, "how did she do that - she came out of no where and she has more followers than me?!"  Renee said something so wise, "yes, but your followers know YOU and like YOU and actually follow YOU to your events!"  Thanks Renee!  I needed that. 
At the luncheon, Sherman said "it's not about the quantity but quality" and asked us, "is it better to have 5,000 followers and only get 2 to engage in a post or 1,000 and get 10 people to engage or comment?"  That was good and true, I never thought of it like that.  
So, if  you are reading this, thinking about your impact in this blogging world - "am I making a difference, am I being heard?"  I hope you think on this post.  I'll share something that happened to me Saturday.  I set up a "Christmas Memories - Vintage Pop Up  Sale   https://www.facebook.com/itsapopup/   
While a girl was checking out, we were laughing and talking and I shared with her that one of the girls I met at this Mastermind Group said she liked my quirkiness or energy, something..like that...to which I told her, "I write a blog and there is plenty of that on there." (smile)   This girl/customer said..."I know I follow it - Dicky Bird's Nest"  I almost fell over...we laughed and laughed.  It just shows, you don't always know who is following along.  Or, if they do, not necessarily know them personally - until you meet - (smile).  It was another confirmation to me this week that I should just keep chugging along doing what it is I do best.  
Thanks for reading and as always....
Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.   


1 comment:

  1. I use to think numbers meant something, but I enjoy reading everyone's comments more than the mount of followers I have. Good luck with your mastermind club. Happy Thanksgiving too! Janice

    ReplyDelete