Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Stones

Happy Memorial Day.  This past week, my message at our ladies bible study was on Memorial Stones.  Our passage was from Joshua 3 and 4, when the Israelites crossed over the Jordan river with the Ark of the Covenant.  God told Joshua that he would hold back the waters of the river so they could cross - just like He did for Moses.  God told Joshua to appoint 1 man from each of the 12 tribes to stop in the middle of the river and pick up 1 large stone.  These stones were placed at the crossed sided of the Jordan as a memorial to what God did for them.  "That all the people of the earth might know the hand of the Lord, that it is mighty; that ye might fear the Lord your God for ever."




You know, 1 Peter 2:5 tell us that we are "living stones" - built into a spiritual house.  As living stones, we are to be place on the cornerstone, Jesus Christ.  Jesus told Peter - you are the rock upon which I will build my church.  Peter told them on the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2:38 "Repent and be baptized everyone of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of your sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."  This is my foundation upon which I have built my house - my living stone.   

This had me thinking about what types of things do we have as Memorial Stones?  What do we put in on our homes that remind us of God's grace?

I can't help but think of the rainbow - God's promise never to destroy the Earth with water again.  The Cross - our sacrificial lamb, Jesus.  Communion - bread/body; wine/blood "do this in memory of me."  As a Christian, these are Memorial Stones - when we see them we think on God's goodness and grace.

On a more personal level, I can't help but think of our daughter Anna's Bravery Beads.  When she was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma of the Bladder the doctors gave us a protocol sheet, showing the standard treatment for her type of pediatric cancer.  At each step and stage, every treatment, surgery, radiation, hospital stay and such she was given a bead - Bravery Beads - that she has looped into 2 long necklaces.  They are still hanging in her room.  These beads will forever be to our family a memorial stone to God's healing, His grace.  




I encourage you to think about your memorial stones.  We all have them - God is good!  Set it out so that as you pass by it, you will be thankful for what He has done for you.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:  http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-art-of-home-making-mondays-please_29.html

3 comments:

  1. A very inspiring post. We all need to be reminded of God's gifts. Hope you are having a great day! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post, and I hope many read it and heed your words. Your daughter's bravery stones was a great idea and so meaningful even now as you look at them. During Advent and Lent, I always set out a small table with 'reminders' from those sacred times that we cherish. But I never thought to do that, to keep something like that out every day, so that, as you said, when we pass it, we remember and praise God. (Probably not your exact words. :-) 'Here I raise my Ebeneezer, Hither by Thy help I'm come; And I hope, by Thy good pleasure, Safely to arrive at Home.' - Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about the bravery beads- great post!

    ReplyDelete