Sunday, July 17, 2016

My "Rhonda Rousey" Little Red Hen

What happens here at my little farm is, hens will lay their eggs all in one pile or nest.  After a few days one or more hens will take ownership of the eggs and set on them to hatch them out.  Well, I have had some broody hens in the past, but NONE out do this little red hen.  I'm now calling her Rhonda Rousey after the kickboxer.  Here is why....

This past week, I opened up all the cages to hens and chicks as they were now over a month old.  As I let this little red hen out with her chicks....another hen tried to take them away from her.  As you can see, she is very small. 



She was not going to let that other hen get the best of her and steal her 6 chicks.  They were fighting, rolling around, squawking up a storm...the other hen had Rhonda on her back and she was kicking and scratching....that is when the name Rhonda Rousey came to me.  

Well, Rhonda won and she is off in the barn yard teaching her chicks all about living here on the farm.



As  you can see, they are almost as big as her now.   I love her tenacity and she has earned respect from the other hens.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

1 comment: