Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Funny Little Story - Tips on Tuesday

 I don't know what made me think of this today, but it's a funny story from several years ago.  Our daughter's and I went on a CIE tour of Scotland and Ireland.  You know, I'm "real country" right?  I probably epitomize "rural America" to a T.  So, here is the story.

We were on some "free" time in Edinburgh.  As we walked from the castle to a tea house Anna made reservations to, we saw an antique shop.  Now, an antique shop, well this one anyway, in Scotland doesn't look like your average antique mall here in Wisconsin.  

When we walked in, there was a very well dressed man sitting by the counter, "are you looking for anything in particular?"  He had all the "snobs" (voice, look, condisending....you know what I mean).  "Well, I was wondering if you had any milk bottles?"  Now, you know Al loves milk bottles with advertising on them.  Different dairies and such.  He tilts his head down and looks over his glasses, "milk bottle?"  So, I proceed to "school" him on what my definition of "milk bottle" is.  Ahahha

"Ma'am, this is an antiquities shop, our antiques are centuries old.  America is younger than some of these things in this shop."  "We, do NOT sell milk bottles."  Oh boy...."thanks anyway..."



So, my tips would be:

1.  Pick shopping at a place that suits you.

2.  Never "school" a shop owner.

3.  Always be pleasant, even in the face of "snobbery."

4.  Take your business to a proprietor who appreciates it.  

5.  Collect what you like, even if you are told "it's not valuable."

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


9 comments:

  1. Good for you. Great tips never be put off by someone else's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI...I loved Scotland and most of you all...were wonderfully friendly! In fact, someone I know who travels often said "Scottish are just as friendly as Wisconsinites"

      Delete
  2. Funny story indeed! Am still looking for a milk bottle of my grammas home town dairy. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. And therein lies the difference between you and me.... I would have pulled my glasses down, looked over the top of them and said "Surely you Irish put your milk in something and do not drink it straight from the cow?" ;-) Probably a good reason why I don't travel much these days...I have a knack for getting in trouble LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TeeHee...do you? I wouldn't have guessed...LOL. I know, it was truly an antique shop...not an antique mall...ahahaha

      Delete
  4. Love it! Great story and nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a visit to that antiques shop. Items in the shop older than our dear country, USA, true that. That is why I love to visit Europe, to see those ancient cathedrals, etc. That store owner had a snippy attitude for sure.

    ReplyDelete