Friday, October 23, 2020

Farmhouse Friday - Work & Play

Good Farmhouse Friday.  This past week, Al was on vacation.  We worked really, really hard...we did...we had to beat the snow.  As is, I still have junk under some snow and I am hoping the sun melts it soon so I can get rid of it.   

I've spent all summer working on destashing my stash.  Over the past 2 years, every estate buy out found a home in the barn.  At the end of last year it was all condenced into the recently vacated horse stalls.  Our daughters were ready and able to take their horses to their farm/ranch.  Over these past few months of my PROGRESSION (202o word of year) to a healthier me, my hoarding issues have taken front and center.  I have come to realize that I tend to fill empty spaces, ones vacated by my children and their pets, (empty nest and barn) with junk.  As if that could replace....but, I surely tried to (ahaha).  So, not only to make Al happy (wink, wink) but myself, I had a goal of vacating Town Hall Trinkets, LLC from our barn before the snow.  I had the luxury of selling under the barn lean all summer and using that area to stage a "last stop" for selling these items.  If something made it to that area, it could not go back into shuffle.  I did make a few altered exceptions.  No one bought the desks, so I kept the drawers and added the shells to the burn pile.  No one bought a few cool antique tables, so I took off top or bottoms to repurpose and added that to the burn pile.  So, some altered pieces of the stash made it back to be made into something else.  

With all that work done, we took off to one of my favorite places in Wisconsin, Door County.  I am on a tribal role, Forest County Potawatomi and Door County was home to generations of Potawatomi long before it was "discovered and settled."  I won't get into all of that, other than to say, when I sat on this log, looking up at this cedar tree, I couldn't help but think of my "roots" to this place.  




Cedar trees produce 2 types of shoots; long shoot is for the framework of the branches and the short shoot are covered with leaves.   I may not have been the long shoot or had a role in the framwork of my ancestrial tree; however, I would say that I do have a role for "season" of being the leaf.  


This is highway 42, at the "tip o' the thumb," between Gills Rock and the ferry dock to Washington Island at Northport.  It is one of the most photographed roads in the midwest.  I've been on this road in the fall, when people are actually, laying in the middle of the road.  Cars are backed up bumper to bumper - but, not this day!  We basically were the only ones.  I want to go back and get a winter shot of this as well.  


I would be missing an opportunity to once again bring my word of the year, PROGRESSION in a life lesson here.  I was thinking, one never knows all the curves and twists that was part of their jouney, until they look back and see from where they came.  What you don't see here is that along the side of this road are worn spots where cars have pulled over to stop, enjoy the view and maybe take a photo.  Our road to where we are today, has those too.   

I may have pulled off and took a look at what I've been through.  I even stopped, rested and filled that spot with stuff that caused a twist or curve, but I didn't stay there, I pulled up my big girl panties and got on with my PROGRESSION.  I also, took time to reflect on the journey and I'm moving on.  

So on this Farmhouse Friday, I am thankful for the twists and curves - lessons in my life.  I have faith in the ONE that constructs my road - He can see my path from beginning to end.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

8 comments:

  1. You have done so very well..Keep up the great work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I love that winding road. Just like life - it takes twists and turns and takes some navigation. To sit under those trees too. I sometimes feel like that when I am home in England - my ancestors were mostly from the area my family still lives in and I feel a connection. It's been strange and unsettling to not go back this year as though part of me is missing. Sigh.

    You have come a long way this year! I am in awe of how much you've got done and cleared out. I hope you continue on your path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my daughter's and I went on a trip to Scotland and Ireland, I fell in love with and connected to the highlands. My mom's family is what we call "Scotch Irish" I'm sure you understand the history of how all that went down more than I, but Kincaid is the family name. I come from a long line of, hate to say, anti - catholic and government on that side. I would think afer generations - the anti (fill in the blank for any family) would subside...it seems to me, so many are low on the tolerent and loving side of humanity.

      Delete
  3. Great post Jacky!! Yeah....the snow put a crimp in my fall clean up (and outdoor Halloween decorating too!!) It seems we always get some snow before Halloween, but never where it sticks around like this....or so many days in a row... Yikes. Hope this isn't a preview of things to come. I'm glad you got away...I absolutely love the photo of you sitting on the log. I can't believe they still have fall color there. Yikes....it seems like a long time that our leaves have been gone....then again, it seems like 2020 has been 5 years long. You're looking well...and happy. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is sticking around longer than I would like it to. Yes, the colors were still vibrant there. 2020 does feel like 5 years long...

      Delete
  4. What a cool road Jacky! We have a road here in Michigan that is called the road of trees. For miles trees line each side of the road and is very picturesque this time of year. Glad you were able to clean out your stuff this week. I was thinking about you and Robin (Cranky Crow) with the impending snow. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! We both are still here...mittens and hats on. I really wanted a long autumn...we went from summer to winter.

      Delete