Friday, October 16, 2020

Farmhouse Friday - Colder Weather

 What is happening at my farmhouse:

Well, colder weather has come to visit us here in Wisconsin, I think it may stay now until spring.  One of the many things I love about living here, all 4 seasons - good and bad.  

I started this week, with something I have NOT had for, I was going to say years, but it may be decades - an open calendar.  With the exception of family things, I have "free" days.  It's thanks to Covid 19 and a bit of my own design.  I am self employed, after all, so I work everyday here, but not having a booth space, events or shows to get ready for, actually is really nice! 

If you've been following along long, you know that I've been selling virtually for years.  I started an on line estate sale group that as part of my business page almost 3 years ago.  When I did that, I had no idea what a blessing and useful platform it would become for my business.  Granted, I do sell for clients, 1 item or whole house, that is on commission.  However, I started doing a LIVE video to "destash" some of my own "stash."  I will keep up with that, until I run out of interesting things to sell.  I don't see that happening any time soon...ahaha.  Here is a sample of what I offer in my LIVEs here:  Town Hall Trinkes On Line Estate Sales - every other Tuesday at 6 pm.  I've even shipped to WA and CO - I can do that.


Also, if you are a regular to the blog, you know that I have been writing fictional "selling stories," staging vignettes and selling under virtual events.  I've enjoyed that the most, so I plan to keep pursuing my writing and moving forward in that platform of selling.  

I'm also participating in virtual "Maker's Markets" hosted by my friend Tracy of The Rejunktified Gypzy   This past Sunday was "Halloween Boo-Teek!"  I had 7 posts of my folk art.  I will say, that after this event, I sold more than during the event.  The next one, "Merry Market," will be open for a week, so that will help with sales.  Here is a sample of my folk art offerings:


We have 1/2 beef coming soon, so I have been cleaning out the freezers.  I made some delicious beef barley soup.  Al, really never compliments me (I know your reading this...you really don't) and I appreciate it so much when he does, because I know he really means it!  While eating this soup, he says "You know, I don't say this often, but you're a really good cook.  I don't know too many people who could make this like you did!"  (hearts!)

He said this, because he saw the 2 days it took to make it.  Hey, like I said, I have an open calendar (wink, wink).  I took out what is usually left at the bottom of the freezer (no, not the liver, however that is there too) soup bones.  I roasted a pan of seasoned bones.  



Next, I put them in my pressure cooker with all kinds of veggies.  I cooked it all down to a super, dark, umami broth.  I strained and put it in the refrigerator over night.  I do this so that the fat will come to the top, harden and I can peel it off.  I know fat is flavor, but I don't need that much fat.  I also picked the bones and saved the meat for the soup.




I try to cook less, but I still ended up with a huge kettle of vegetable beef barley soup.  I even divided it in half and shared and I still had enough for 2 suppers and soup for lunch every day this week.  YUM!


What's going on at your house?  I hope you find time to enjoy the things that make you happy.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

5 comments:

  1. Your folk art pieces are wonderful!

    Brrr to the colder weather. Autumn is passing far too quickly. It's been pretty windy here and the trees are starting to lose their leaves. I am not ready for that yet. I want more of the pretty colour before everything becomes grey and dull.

    I am thankful that I'm not in Minnesota - daughter had her first snow this morning! I am definitely not ready for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying so! I need to create more, it makes me happy. It did snow today, off and on, sun, snow showers, sun...crazy!

      Delete
  2. Oooooo....that looks soooo good! I love soups (almost as much as desserts LOL) and that is about the only good thing I see about the cold stuff that is upon us: it makes for perfect soup days. I heard we are to get up to 2" of s**w overnight. I know it won't stick around, but yuck. I can see the picture better in your collage, and not sure the colors will work....but??? ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete