Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Hope Chest

NOTE:  This is a fictional story I created to be the premis of our 3 VIRTUAL sales.  The first sale is "I Do" - this week the blog posts will give clues as to what you may expect in each vignette.  

Every young lady, including Evelyn, was given a hope chest.  A hope chest is a piece of furniture traditionally used to collect items for bride and home, by unmarried women in "hopes" of marriage.  







Evelyn's grandma gave her an old cedar chest when she turned 13.  It was used, but new to Evelyn and she loved it.   Truthfully, grandma wanted to ensure that Evelyn had some treasures for her home and share the stories behind each family piece.  Grandma and Evelyn, spent many hours, stiching and working on all kinds of hand mades for Evelyn's chest.  That included making quilt squares for her butterfly quilt.  The time spent with grandma are wonderful memories, she now treasures since grandma's passing.  Evelyn admires it again as she folds it and packs it away in the hope chest that is going to Wisconsin.   





As Evelyn sits at her vanity, looking at her reflection in the old celluloid mirror, "I am getting married, moving to Wisconsin and becoming a farmer's wife."  It will be a big change for Evelyn.  From sand in toes, salty sea air, foamy waves and blue crab to muddy boots, 'farm' fresh air, foamy buckets of milk and plucking chickens.  "Am I ready?" she thought.  "Can I do this?  I don't know the first thing about being a farmer's wife!"  As she places the mirror down and picks up the brush, she tells herself, "Evelyn, this will be an amazing adventure."

Her suitcases are already packed and stacked near the door.  Evelyn looks around her room, she smiles.  "I wish every happy memory I had in this room could fit in those suitcases."  She wipes a tear, as she turns to walk out the door and she thinks about all her blessings.  




Come follow along this week as Evelyn prepares for her wedding day.  Make sure to check out he virtual event on Saturday where we will have vignettes staged with items for sale.  Linke here:
  https://www.facebook.com/events/1162232194110367/

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

3 comments:

  1. I have never seen a butterfly quilt and this one is AMAZING! Love reading the story of Evelyn, and cannot wait for more! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to more. The quilt and indeed the chest was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running behind here, but saw your updates on Evelyn and had to visit. You know I am loving it!! (Oops...that reminds me I was going to add you to my group...will do right now...) I have never seen a butterfly quilt either...how very charming! Good seeing you Sweetpea! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete