Thursday, June 4, 2020

Evelyn's Trousseau

NOTE:  This is a fictional story I created to be the premis of our 3 VIRTUAL sales.  The first sale is "I Do" - this week the blog posts will give clues as to what you may expect in each vignette.  

Bridal Trousseau is the outfit of the bride, including the wedding dress and similiar clothing.  




Evelyn had her suitcases packed and stacked, ready to go to Wisconsin.  Her wedding dress safely hid from William's sight in the attic, patiently waiting for Saturday and "I do."  As she crossed off all the "to do's" on her list, she thought "I do, I do to William.  To him, his life and mine on a dairy farm in Wisconsin."  She was excited for not only the big day, but the adventure.

"Evelyn dear," her mother said as she knocked on her bedroom door.  "Yes, come in."  "Oh, it's hard to imagine this room without you," her mother says as she looks around.  She couldn't help but still see Evelyn's crib in the corner.  "It will be hard on the both of us, mama" Evelyn says.  Her mother has something in her hands, wraped in tissue and tied with a string.  "You know, when I married your father, grandma ordered me this from Dublin, Ireland."  Evelyn took the package and carefully removed the wrapping, "I wore this on our departure after our ceremony," her mother says.  Eveyn had never seen this linen suit before.  "Oh, mama, it's beautiful!"  "Now, if you don't like it...." her mother says.  Evelyn puts the package on the bed and reaches for her mother, just like she had done a thousands of times in her life.  As she kisses her mama's cheek, Evelyn whispers in her ear, "I love it and would be honored to wear it on my departure."  




"Oh, honey, I am going to miss you, but I am so happy for you and William.  You have been such a blessing to me and I know you are ready."  Evelyn, could hardly see from her tear filled eyes.  "Mama, all I know, who I am, who I want to be is because of your love and nurturing.  I love you!"  Just as Evelyn releases her embrace, a knock comes to the door.  "Are you two coming, we have lots to get ready for Saturday," her dad says.  They both laugh as they walk out the door "who is we...???" her mother says.  In that moment, Evelyn saw all she could hope and dream of her and William's future.  The example of a life long love of laughing, sharing, through the trials and triumphs of life.   "Let's get to it then"  Evelyn says as she skips down the stairs.






You are cordially invited to celebrate the "I Do" VIRTUAL Vintage Pop Up Sale on Saturday, June 6, Link here:  
https://www.facebook.com/events/1162232194110367/

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

P.S.  The linen suit was used for just this purpose from my friend's mother-in-law, Margarite.  The shoes and purse too; but not Margarite's a different woman.  

3 comments:

  1. You've got me hooked Jacky girl LOL! Oh, what a beautiful suit!! And guess what? I wore one very similar for our afterwedding/gift-opening....(there was no honeymoon, so no "departure" to speak of LOL). Beautiful goblets too!! Happy almost Fri-yay! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post and great story line, a beautiful vignette.

    ReplyDelete