Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Tips on Tuesday - Old Dog & Tricks

We all know the saying:  "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" that's not true.  A willing dog at any age can learn a new trick.  I guess this is the direction I've been thinking on lately in working on fulfilling my, PROGRESSION, word of the year journey.

I know, some of us think we know the 411 on just about any subject - been there, done that - kind of a mentality.  I've been guilty of thinking this on occasion myself.  I have to admit, I was recently "slapped in the face" with something that really made me stop and think...."yep, even this old dog" can learn a few tricks from some of these pups.  The old dog offers wisdom, the pup vitality.  Let's not overlook the value of that! 

My 5 tips on "old dog & tricks:"

1.  Get off the porch, no laying in the sun, watching the pups playing in the yard...get involved.   Now don't run down the steps and bark out orders on things they are doing wrong...you may know it's not going work that way...let them figure it out.  They won't want to play with you if you are all bark.  

2.  You understand that you need to chase the rabbit in the hole, you've done this for years, but guess what, there may be an easier way to do it now.  Watch how the pups are doing it.  Yep, they may have a few tricks you didn't think about.  You've been napping on the porch, they've been chasing the rabbit.

3.  Once you've watched the pups and their tricks, try them out.  Ask them to join in and maybe collaborate on "chasing the rabbit."  Share with the pups how the old dogs did it.  Trust me, they want to know how you have been able to chase the rabbit for so long.  You have tried and true tricks too.  Share your wisdom with them, just don't bite them with it.  

4.  You may have the loyalty and heart, the pup needs to earn.  Be willing to share.  Understand that, old dog or pup, the treats are the same.  

5.  Keep your nose to the ground.  Don't chase your tail or beg for treats.  Know when to sit and when to stay.  These tricks take practice.  



I was looking at different characteristics of dog breeds.  I am most definitely a terrier:

Terriers are brave, mischievous, energetic, active, fearless, independent, playful, and cheerful. However, without proper training, they can be stubborn, and cause a lot of problems.

I'm laughing.....for real!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

6 comments:

  1. Great post! You need to write a book with all of the wisdom you share with us. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your posts Jacky, and this "old dog" (I prefer to think of myself more as a "mature pup" though) has learned more than one trick from you....but this is one of your posts that really shines. Love the analogies and the lessons....and, ummm, yeah....I do think that Terrier suits you to a tee. ;-). I don't think I wanna know what breed I am.....although the last online "game" test thing I did, pretty much nailed the husky thing. Happy Friyay!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely terrier, everything else comes later Jacky. Thank you for sharing this post and as a dog lover I am in awe with this cute post. It not only brought a big smile to my face but also learnt those 5that tricks you have mentioned. And yes I completely agree to that even old dogs can learn new tricks if the heart is willing.

    ReplyDelete