Monday, January 16, 2017

Motivational Monday - Passion

We recently watched an interesting documentary called "Chicken People."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZShxa6wJ0  link to watch the trailer.

I really enjoyed watching the 3 main character's journey to showing and improving their flock.  Al fully intended this to be a "napping" documentary - but, it even held his attention.  We both were cheering for them as they moved up the show ranks from best of, grand to supreme bird.  What dedication and passion.  After it was done, I turned to Al and said "what are you that passionate about?"  He said..."I was thinking that same thing!" 

For some odd reason, this convicted me.   I had a hard time thinking about what I am currently that passionate about.  My children have always been my passion - but, now that we are empty nesters, I can't think of anything.   Sure, I pour most of myself into building my business, but that seem so selfish...

These people were "chicken crazy" and good at what they did.  We couldn't think of anything we currently had in our lives like that.  We both just shook our heads and said..."we aren't an expert at anything, but we are good at lots of things..."  I guess, whatever makes us feel better (smile).   Thing is...it's the truth. 

I've been thinking about this for days.  I like lots of things and would consider myself a bit "crazy" at times - just not "crazy" about any one thing so much that I would devote all my time and energy into it with such passion.  So, what is passion?



Webster gives one definition as:  the suffering and death of Jesus.  So, I turned to scripture and found that the word passion is used only 1 time (KJV) - in Acts 1:3: "To whom also he shewed himself after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the Kingdom of God."  Jesus' passion was for us.  O.K. now I'm really convicted.  

Did you know the word convicted is also used only 1 time (KJV) - you can find it in John 8:9 "And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last; and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst."  This passage was taken from the story of the woman who was caught in the very act of adultery and brought to Jesus.  The crowd wanted Jesus to agree to stone her but, He said nothing, He just wrote something in the sand.  One by one these accusers left - convicted by whatever it was Jesus wrote.  When He looked up he said to the woman, "where are thy accusers?"  She said "I have none."  Jesus said to her "and neither do I condemn thee, go and sin no more."  

I often wondered what was it Jesus wrote in the sand?  We can speculate, possibly all their sins and short comings.  He did say "he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone."  

So, as I write this post, I'm already thinking of those who will read it and think...as a Christian she should be passionate about...ministry, church, helping others, spreading the Gospel, spiritual gifts...(add another).  But, somehow I think, maybe, just maybe, if Jesus were able to add to this post, what would He write or type here....???

How I found a way to take a chicken documentary and "preach" to myself about it is beyond me, but I did.  We all have 365 days, 52 weeks, 12 months, no one has more time than another, what will you do with it to reflect your passion?  

As I "embrace" (my word of the year) 2017 - I embrace conviction and passion - to change me for the better.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:  http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-art-of-home-making-mondays-please_16.html

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful year embracing your passions and life in general!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was deep, Jacky! I've often wondered that myself. I'm like you: I don't have any one thing I'm passionate about! I believe Jesus just wants us to be real by being who He made us to be. And in everything we do, let His light and love shine through us. Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete